• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Striped motley?

bekers71

What addiction?!
This is my striped motley. But some times I think she looks more like a striped cubed..not that there is such a thing. Is there? She starts off with stripes but after the first dot theres no more stripes. Looks more like saddles. She has a white belly with what I call pepper specks. The shot of her belly is closest to the tail but above that its white no bleed over and only a few pepper specks. What do you guys think?
P1030220.JPG

P1030235.JPG

P1030236.JPG

P1030246.JPG

P1030242.JPG

Unless you know for a fact that your snake is carying a motley gene, I would call that one a homozygous stripe that is also cubed. And your name of "striped cube" would fit perfectly. Some homo stripes are not perfect and have some connections between the stripes. And I'm sure not all cubes are completely cubed, having some striping as well. By judging by the distance between the stripes and the thickness of the stripes, if that snake had a motley gene in it, I would be very surprised. But a test breeding would tell you for sure. Awesome snake in any case! And I wouldn't be concerned about the slight peppering of the belly as it gets closer to the tail. It happens quite often in motleys and stripes. I have a motley ghost female that has a solid white belly towards her head, but it quickly becomes an almost solid grey color (that basically matches her saddle color) as it moved towards her tail.

I say it's a True Stripe as opposedto a Motley Striped. Most Striped corns have stripes that fade and become more like dashes running down their body. It does have a sort of "Cubed" look to it between some of the stripes. It could also have Motley in it. I bred a visual Striped male to an Anery Motley female, and produced a clutch that contained True Stripes that were Anery, Amel, Ghost, Normal, and Snow, and the rest were Motleys that were Normal, Anery, Ghost, Hypo, and Snow.

Randy

Thank you both. The only thing I have to breed her with, that will prove her out, is a striped motley caramel. Of course he doesn't have any "dots" either. The only other thing I have is Het stripe and is too small.

Sorry the pics aren't the best. But it shows his pattern pretty good.

P1020511.JPG

P1020514.JPG

He's definitely a motley. But then you will only get motleys het for stripe (or motley/stripe) which won't really prove much for you.
A stripe can't be het for motley, but a motley can be het for stripe, because motley is dominant over stripe. Does that make sense?

Very nice looking corn. I love how her head seems slightly lighter that the rest of her.

Congrats on Owning a Beautiful Corn!

Unless you know for a fact that your snake is carying a motley gene, I would call that one a homozygous stripe that is also cubed. And your name of "striped cube" would fit perfectly. Some homo stripes are not perfect and have some connections between the stripes. And I'm sure not all cubes are completely cubed, having some striping as well. By judging by the distance between the stripes and the thickness of the stripes, if that snake had a motley gene in it, I would be very surprised. But a test breeding would tell you for sure. Awesome snake in any case! And I wouldn't be concerned about the slight peppering of the belly as it gets closer to the tail. It happens quite often in motleys and stripes. I have a motley ghost female that has a solid white belly towards her head, but it quickly becomes an almost solid grey color (that basically matches her saddle color) as it moved towards her tail.

Couldn't agree more, that's almost certainly a 'cubed' from a stripe background......

I'm 100% with Susan and Brian. The snake in the OP is a homozygous stripe. In other words, it's a stripe/stripe not a mot/stripe-- there's no motley gene in that snake at all (which wouldn't be possible in a homo stripe anyway).

So putting this snake with something het stripe "should" produce stripes correct? But if putting her with the Caramel Striped Mot above will on give me about a 50/50 shot of getting some stripes the rest should be stripe motley. Right?

Right.. if the striped corn is stripe/stripe, and if the motley corn is genetically motley/stripe and not a motley/motley with a striped pattern. There are striped motleys out there that do not actually have the striped gene in them. But with a motley/stripe that is genetically motley X stripe, the results would be half stripe and half motley het stripe. The motley X stripe snake will pass down either the motley gene or the striped gene, the striped snake can only pass down the stripe.

Right.. if the striped corn is stripe/stripe, and if the motley corn is genetically motley/stripe and not a motley/motley with a striped pattern. There are striped motleys out there that do not actually have the striped gene in them. But with a motley/stripe that is genetically motley X stripe, the results would be half stripe and half motley het stripe. The motley X stripe snake will pass down either the motley gene or the striped gene, the striped snake can only pass down the stripe.

Ok now I understand. I have been some what confused over the motley and stripe genes.

It can be confusing, especially since one person's striped motley is another person's motley/stripe, and a third person calls it a motley het stripe. I have a male that I purchased as a striped motley, he has a partially striped pattern, but so far he has not produced a stripe for me. Since I have only bred him once with a motley female that was possible het for stripe, the only way I can find out for sure is more test breedings. Either he was not het for stripe or she was not het- all I got was motleys. Also this was a small clutch so maybe they were both het and I didn't get any stripes because of Murphy's law. It's a lot easier to know for sure if you know the genes the parents have!

Back