• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Substrate Question

vovalyosha

Хоккей и
Recently, my local pet store (and by local, I mean closest one that I can stand going to without having to look at sick snakes) is not stocking their usual substrates and I refuse to use aspen. The little sani-chips, they stopped stocking and now their Zilla "Lizard Litter" (same thing as sani-chips) is never in stock. Obviously, I didn't go with the bark and my mother pointed out something in the gerbil area and I was curious as to if anyone had any experience with this stuff.

It's called Carefresh Crinkles. It's paper in crinkles and actually looks really cool. My oldest snake has it right now and he took right to it. (Long story short, the only reason I needed something NOW was because there was a tiny bug in his viv and I cleaned the whole thing out, cleaned his plants and everything meticulously, tubbed him up and took to the pet store. It says it's bedding for small pets, and even says snakes. (It also mentions Confetti, Forest, and Mardi Gras. The forest looks extremely natural and just overall looks very very nice.)

http://www.carefresh.com/products/bedding/crinkled-paper

There is a link to the page of the product. I read someone saying everything I just did essentially, but that it was too hard for their pets. It's very soft and great for burrowing. I covered an entire 20g tank 2-3in with not even 1/10 of the bag. But yeah, anyone ever heard of this stuff or have any experience with it? I don't want to put it in the other tanks if there's going to be a problem. :nope:

I wouldn't see it being a problem. I haven't used it for snakes but use to use it for our hamsters. We use aspen for all our snakes. It would actually be softer than aspen.

I have a couple bags of CareFresh Crinkles that I used for shipping. I wasn't really impressed with it. It doesn't seem like it would be absorbent at all. It's cheap enough, though, that you could buy a little bag and test it out. It's pretty!

You can order Kaytee aspen from places on-line. Drs. Foster Smith and Pet Mountain are where I usually get it.

I order my Sani Chips from National Pet Pharmacy . Com. Yeah, you pay shipping, but the huge bag lasts a LONG time.

I haven't used the CareFresh brand but used to use something extremely similar for my rats (basically the same product but with brown paper) and I don't see why it'd be a problem with snakes. I'd just be careful if you feed in the same enclosure because paper substrate might stick to the mouse if it's wet.

Also curious as to why you won't use aspen.

(Sorry, I am on my phone and would quote replies if I could)

Thanks Knox, I will check them out. I have talked to LLL and they have the 56q bag of sanichips as well, but are supposedly out right now.

Nanci, yeah, I am seeing how it may not be absorbation for defecation and such, but hopefully once he does later this week, it will be easier to tell. It's very pretty, though! My Ghost loves to hide in it and I can spend a good ten minutes looking, THEN finding him haha.

Beautiful, it is super soft! I went ahead and put a small bit in my ball's viv and he kept moving over it repetitively and after it was a pancake, he curled up and went to sleep!

Teatime & Vamp, I definitely don't feed in the same viv do that's not a problem. :) I also don't like aspen because I personally find it too dusty. Most bags I found near me were crazy dusty, one day I tried the chips and loved them. The second time I tried aspen, there was a bug and I freaked and refuse to by anything from that place again. I guess it's not tht bad if you go to the right place, I just got used to the chips. (I will say tht this new Zilla Lizard Litter is not near as nice as sani-chips. But I am biased :p)

Ah, I can certainly understand that! I haven't gotten my snake yet (hurry up Repticon!!!!), so I am taking the time to learn different people's thoughts on different things. Since you are the only person I have come across so far, that doesn't like aspen, I was curious as to why. Thanks for the answer!

Back