• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

substrate question

bigfish44

dose anyone use Keepers Choice substrate im using this now. looks like shreded bark brown in color. so far its working good just wondering if anything is better. thanks Tom

Aspen shavings seem to be the favorite here. I use them also and my corn loves it. They can burrow in it and it is very absorbant for when they do their poopies.

Make sure it doesn't contain cedar bark!! 2 of the 4 types of "snark bark" I can buy here contain cedar bark.. which, while it doesn't smell like cedar, contains more toxins than the aromatic "flesh" of the tree. Other than that, I'd wash it and bake it, or freeze it and thaw it before I'd use it... I have seen lots of buggies in bark substrate, and have read in these forums that they can be full of yucky wood mites too. The cedar bark ones shouldn't have bugs, but cedar + snake = bad bad bad!

i live in england so there is a limited choice of substrants i use beech chip its grate its a light brown (like pine) its very absorbant and easy to clean up also it very cheap means more money 4 beers with me mates :cheers:

ok

Im from the uk but i don't personnaly use beech chips though some mates swear by the stuff.I use aspen and have tried other subtrates but aspen is the easiest as corns love to burrow,it absorbs amonia from wee and poo,pretty cheap and easy to get the best place to get it from in the uk is www.livefoods.co.uk :twoguns:

Most popular seems to be aspen, but I found that repti-bark keeps some of the moisture in, raising the humidity some...

i actually use 2 different substrates. i use Zoo Med Cage Carpet at 1 end, and Repti Bark at the other end to allow for burrowing., it makes cleaning out easier, means i have to buy less substrate. My corn actually spends more time on the Cage Carpet than in the bark.

Back