• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Substrate Questions

randomrhetoric

the snake drummer
Hodwy ya'll!!! I was looking at pics of peoples viv's that have been posted in various sections and I noticed that alot oy ya'll are using what appears to be aspen or something akin to it as the substrate. When I first got my amel a week ago I was using the same since it is what came with the kit I was given. Through my research I have learned that cedar is no good because of the potential health risks. In my opinion aspen bedding would be very similar to cedar and therefore a potential risk to my little baby. Yesterday I switched to repti-bark and that seems to have less dust. Here are my questions...

#1. Is repti-bark prefered over other natural substrates and if not what would be?

#2. What would be good to place in the viv that would allow Rosie (my amel) to burrow since she seems to not burrow in the bark?

#3. Who put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp?

Thanks!!!!

Aspen is preferred. If she wants to burrow, she'll burrow in aspen. Reptibark is hard! Aspen is soft and fluffy. Put in 3-4 inches. It's very easy to spot clean.

To elaborate on Nanci's answer, aspen is good because it handles waste well, gives them something to burrow in, doesn't cause damage to their skin or scales, and UNLIKE CEDAR AND PINE it is a hardwood and does not have dangerous phenols that can cause damage to the respiratory system.

Despite your current concerns, aspen does not pose the same risks as cedar and can be used quite safely to house your snake. It's also cheaper than Reptibark and easier to find the waste in.

#1. Is repti-bark prefered over other natural substrates and if not what would be? Repti-bark is okay, but Aspen is just fine and dandy.

#2. What would be good to place in the viv that would allow Rosie (my amel) to burrow since she seems to not burrow in the bark? Aspen works great for burrowing especially if you can get the finer shredded stuff (Aspen 1 or Kaytee) instead of the more chipped stuff. Extra hides will help as well.

#3. Who put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp? Wade did it.

Thanks!!!!

Hope that helps.
D80

Thanks for all the advice!! I was worried that all the dust from the aspen bedding would cause problems with her respiratory system. I am so glad my sister works at a pet store cuz now I need to get some aspen bedding instead of repti-bark. Gotta love that discount!

Thanks for all the advice!! I was worried that all the dust from the aspen bedding would cause problems with her respiratory system. I am so glad my sister works at a pet store cuz now I need to get some aspen bedding instead of repti-bark. Gotta love that discount!

I was using a woven cotton canvas material when I first got my snake. It was fine, but saw where most everyone here used aspen, so I switched and Voodoo loves that stuff. She comes out every night at around 8:30 and starts burrowing around the tank.
I also have a homemade wooden hide box about the size of a standard shoe box that I have sphagnum moss in. Last change, I sifted it with a standard colendar, and got out the stones and large wood chunks. . . . This is where she stays until it's time to come out for some exercise.

I used reptibark when I got my first snake... She would get splinters and I would have to pick the out of her scales... I was scared she would lose an eye because she loves burrowing:eek1:... So to make a long story short I use aspen because it is much softer and all of my kids enjoy safetly burrowing in it... The end...:rofl:

First thing, I was bout to buy cornsnake. I go with aspen.
I know that many people is very worried about the dust, and the smell.
But it don't harm your snake, and it's easy to clean up as well!
I love aspen, did not plan to get something else.

mine have a mix of aspen and the chips and in one corner they have shredded paper which they love to hide in as well, I also line my viv with newspaper as well and my male always hides under the paper he is very unsociable so you tend to just lift it up to check he is ok.

mine have a mix of aspen and the chips and in one corner they have shredded paper which they love to hide in as well, I also line my viv with newspaper as well and my male always hides under the paper he is very unsociable so you tend to just lift it up to check he is ok.

A great Idea. I had been thinking about linning the viv w/ the repti-bark and placing the aspen on top of that. hopefully something will make her happy cuz she hasnt moved from the same spot in her hide for a couple of days... Is that normal?

newspaper is nice and cheap: once he is under his paper that is pretty much where he tend to stay he comes out at night but most of the time he just hides away. My female corn is a lot more socialable she likes hiding under a dogs water bowl, she hides underneath as thats at the side of her heatmat and then on top it has aspen in so she can burrow in it.

If you've only had her a week, she isn't settled in yet. It is also possible she is going into blue- getting ready to shed, in which case she wouldn't move at all.

Back