• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Substrate??

ken347

Corn Addict In Training
Anybody ever use this? Reviews? The pet store said they use it and I bought a huge bag.

IMG_20120322_151054.jpg

you better read the contents and find out what type of wood is in it.

As far as I know on wood, Aspen is the only safe kind for snakes. I know pine is not for snakes. I would return it if it lists any other type of wood.

I just looked it up and it only says hardwoods - so I'm not sure.

One thing it says it it hides poops better - not sure that's a brilliant idea since you want to see them and remove them asap.

How much was it?

11.99 for the huge bag I know the pet store uses it and the owner of the store said he would never use pine or cedar only hard woods

As far as I know on wood, Aspen is the only safe kind for snakes.
You can use all sorts of hard woods and fruit woods safely with snakes, it's just the resinous wood that's a potential problem.

Aspen is the one that's most commonly available in the US. It's getting more common here in the UK, but beech chips seem to be one of the main substrate materials in my area.

ok, thanks for that Bitsy. I didn't know that. I just always hear aspen, no pine/cedar chips. Thats about all I see here.

So, Ken - when you open the bag can you put a pic of what it looks like? I've never seen anything like that here. I order aspen online b/c I like the shredded kind and it's so expensive at the store.

How many pounds or quarts is the bag? I just paid $8 last night b/c I really need aspen, for an 8 qt bag! I can get 24 qt online for $12.

Its 2.0 cubic feet and if you look at my other threads I have a picture of my snake on it

I think it's fine as long as you can feel around it without too much dust. I would be careful and make sure there isn't much dust IIWY

Actually I dumped it in the cage and even just ran it through my hand I haven't seen ANY dust it says vet certified on the bag and my snake loves burrowing in it

And i mean he completely goes under it he actually puts his head in on one side of the cage and tunnels to the other side. I just wanted to make sure it was fully safe before I continued using it

Alright! Hardwood, dust free- unless you have wood powder there, I think you're fine ;). Young corns love to burrow! :01grin:

so it's kind of soft? (for snake litter I mean!). I looked at sani chips the other day.

How much is it? I don't know where I'd find it to try it.

It cost me 1199 for a 2.0 cubic feet bag in which I put three inches in a 4 foot long 1 foot wide cage and i haven't even used a quarter of the bag

Back