• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Successful first time breeding . . . with questions

Skotos

Searching For Truth
Okay, so here's the background info. My wife and I have a pair of corns we purchased in March. The female had her post brumation shed on March 10th. We introduced them about 2-3 times a week but the did not mate. By the time the female had her second post brumation shed (around April 15th) we were ready to give up. Strangely enough, when we introduced them "one last time" on the 21st they hooked up. Then again on the 24th and 29th of April. So we had 3 successful hook ups.

Last night they were introduced again and the male tried to position his tail under hers in an effort to hook up again; however, she simply sat there and slowly moved her tail away from his. She did not run away (well, not that snakes run) but she did seem disinterested. I kept them together overnight so something may or may not have happened.

Having said that here are my questions.

1. Is her "refusal" a sign that she is now gravid? She does look a tad heavier on her back half then she used to.

2. Should we keep introducing them?

3. Should we still be looking for a pre-lay shed since she already shed twice and has bred so late?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peace,
Scott

Going by my own experience, some females do not become receptive to the male until after their 2nd shed of the year, I have one female that waited till after the 2nd shed last year and the year before. This year she accepted him after her 1st shed :shrugs:

I try to get three successful matings within a 10 day period of time, as it's more than likely the female is already gravid from the first mating, the follow ups are just to help ensure fertility. So I personally would not keep introducing the pair, it may cause stress for the female if she's already gravid.

Yes, you will now be waiting for a pre-lay shed 4 to 6 weeks approx after initial mating, and then expect her to be laying her eggs, around 7 to 14 days after that shed, not all corns read the rule books, so there could be a little difference in timing ;). You will need to provide her with a nest/lay box around the time of that shed, so she can familiarise herself with it before using it to lay her eggs in.

Hope that's helped some, good luck,

Back