• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sudden aggressive behavior?

DinoNeill

Must learn Parseltongue!
Ok my friend has a corn that was at first just a tail rattler, then later calmed down but is now very aggresive and biting frequently. She's being handled correctly and has had no stressful events occur. Right now the only attempted solution is to keep handling her until she calms down. Any comments?

A 2-3 year old miami corn that had a previous owner that neglected it and was transferred to me for 3 months, she was nervous and rattled her tail a bit but started to calm down (never tried to bite me), I fed her already dead mice and she wouldn't eat unless I left her alone in a dark room. I then had to go back to school so I sold her to a local herper that fed her live mice (which she took to extremely well and eats better than the F/T) and everything was fine until just a few weeks ago when she suddenly became very aggresive.

this happened to one of my creams, he was nice as could be but then one day decided to be very nippy. good thing for me he was under a year old and it didnt freak me out. the absolute most important thing when a snake starts biting is to do exactly the same you would with any other snake. give it regular attention (handling sessions aside from feedings) and be careful and gentle. dont pose a threat, and do NOT pull your hand away in fear. if you take it out, and it bites you, and you put it back your kinda training it to think thats what will happen every time it bites. you have to understand snakes dont like to be held, but with trust they begin to tolerate us. -- i know some will argue "my snake loves when i hold it, blah blah, it always comes to me, blah blah," but really, how can you know? maybe some do but its not of their nature. they are wild animals.

all in all, id tell you friend to make sure she keeps holding it, maybe even hold it more than any other of her snakes. it should come around as long as its not further neglected.

One little suggestion

Have your friend check his temperatures. Get an accurate temperature, by using an accurate thermometer and putting it directly on the bottom on top of the hot side. High temps will make snakes aggressive. Other than that, I have no suggestions.

Could it be that the jungle corn is biting now because its new owner has other snakes and it can smell the other snakes on her hands? I think a jungle corn is a cross between and a California king. Maybe the king in it is reacting to the smell of other snakes on the handler?

sue frederick said:
Have your friend check his temperatures. Get an accurate temperature, by using an accurate thermometer and putting it directly on the bottom on top of the hot side. High temps will make snakes aggressive. Other than that, I have no suggestions.

The tank has a really good temperature gradient for the snake's preference and the heat source is the same Exo terra mat that I use with my corn (who I haven't had a problem with). I'll get him to check it though just to be sure.

wait, who said its a jungle corn..?

its a jungle.?

well if it is, it seems occasional that jungles retain the snake-eating trait of daddy kingsnake and it may be possible that it thinks your friends hands are baby snakies. hah

uh, no one said it's a jungle corn. It's a miami phase corn. I'm not sure why the previous guy brought it up :/

Oops, sorry about that. That's what happens when I'm reading too much too late at night. I must have had jungle corn on the brain.

eh, if it were a dog or a cat with sudden, unexplained aggression the first thing I'd *guess* is maybe it's sick or hurting. I have no idea if snakes share this behavior though, I know more about fluffy pets.

Back