• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sun Glo daylight lamp for a kingsnake?

bataco

Daniel
My snake started hibernation and I my mom bought me a daylight lamp, the problem is that it has uv rays so I don't know if I can put this to my kingsnake, should I buy another heatlight without uv rays?

UV isn't required for them. It's not detrimental to have it either but you have to monitor your temperatures properly. A lamp + UTH can make for a too hot spot quickly.

As for Brumation...they don't need light period. They need a cool dark place.

Actually, if the UV ouput is too high, it CAN be damaging to both the skin and the eyes of the snake.

I wouldn't use it. Kings don't need UV light. Have your mom take it back to the shop and get her money back. Invest it in a UTH and thermostat. It's safer and easier...

Just my $.02...

I have the uth, what's funny is that he's in the cool side, and he knows where's the hot spot because after eating he goes to the hot spot and then returns under the bowl...

Nobody knows better than your snake what temperature gradient he needs to be at...

but it's ok to leave him in brumation? how often should he eat?

If it's cool enough to brumate...he won't eat. If he comes out and gets active...feed him.

I have a speckled king that is brumating. I never see him. I have a Cali king that is NOT brumating...he eats occasionally. Neither one of them have "extra" heat, they are both being kept at room temperature for the winter.

If he is hiding and never seen, and is presumably brumating...you don't need any heat or light...just a cool, dark, quiet place to keep him...

I researched a little more in brumating and I think he's ok, the temp is on 65° so that's cool, but what worries me is that he's a yearling and I don't know if he can handle brumation, is it ok to wake him up ocassionally to feed?

Either brumate or don't. Don't switch in between because honestly there is no point. Two reasons you'd want to brumate are for breeding or to help cut feeding costs a little. During brumation you'll save a few bucks because brumation slows the snakes metabolism down so they don't eat.

I researched a little more in brumating and I think he's ok, the temp is on 65° so that's cool, but what worries me is that he's a yearling and I don't know if he can handle brumation, is it ok to wake him up ocassionally to feed?

I'm a newbie, and I'm confused by this....is 65F an appropriate brumation temperature? I'm wondering if their metabolism would actually slow at this temp? And if not...would the snake lose much weight?

Not meaning to hijack...this is my first year brumating. I've got one in a 50F closet, and another is at room temps (68F) ready to go in there in a few days. Those are the only two that are not feeding now, so I figured they knew what they wanted...much more than I do. :p

Nah, it's not dangerous, whether you brumate them or not isn't a big deal, If you're not going to be breeding them then I wouldn't brumate personally

Back