• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sunglow, Outcrossed bloodred or Amelanistic??

lucia

I have a little male cornsnake, but I don´t know what to call him. Sunglow, Outcrossed bloodred or Amelanistic??

His parents are - aneryistic het amelanistic mother and Bloodred het amelanistic father.
He has no white on his body, and the stomach is white/orange.

Look at the pictures,

rodalbinonyomsad009_orig_SE.jpg

rodalbinonyomsad012_orig_SE.jpg

rodalbinonyomsad004_orig_SE.jpg

Your snake may turn out to be a sunglow as an adult. It's definitely an amelanistic, and NOT a bloodred outcross (unless you know for sure what the parents were)...

-Kat

Arrgh. I should read the whole post before jumping to post a response.. :)

Okay, so if you crossed Anery het amel X bloodred het amel, you have...

An amelanistic corn het anery bloodred. So technically you could call it a bloodred outcross... though the snake itself isn't really showing much of the bloodred trait.

Sorry for the confusion...
-Kat

Outcrosses show varying degrees of diffusion and this little guy as pretty as he is doesn't show a lot of diffusion. It may be that his father was an outcross himself and this is a 2nd generation outcross. I'd call him an amel for now as I'd like to see more 'solidness' to his ground colour to call him a sunglow.

danvega said:
By looks alone, your snake appears to be a Sunglow.
I also think in some time the colors will blend more together because of the bloodred influence, making it a nice sunglow.

princess said:
I'd call him an amel for now as I'd like to see more 'solidness' to his ground colour to call him a sunglow.

How many snakes with a solid orange background color in this age do you know/have?
I think time will tell, but I bet there will be no doubt about being a Sunglow in one year.

thanks for your answers! :)

I bought him as amel, BUT the breeder didn´t know what to call the little guy, maybe sunglow.

His father was bloodred, not outcrossed. Yes, just when I got him this autumn til now he´s more orange/red. So I think it can be a nice sunglow with time.

:wavey:

Menhir said:
How many snakes with a solid orange background color in this age do you know/have?

Whilst some grow into their colour, they're never as deeply even toned (IMHO and in my observations) as the ones that start out very orange. This is Lotus as a 3-4 week old after only her initial hatch shed at about her 3-4th meal.

Attachments

• Lotusfood.JPG
    Lotusfood.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 49
Yeah, we're talking about ground colour and the motley seems to affect saddles and saddle borders (reducing the saddle borders and making the overall colour of the snake darker because of the increased saddle area) but I haven't found much of a difference in the background effect due to being homo motley -from my own observations of siblings I've bred as well as random examples from other sources.

I personally do think that motleys and stripes do have way more uniform colored backgrounds, especially in younger animals. If you have different experiences, fine as well.
Just an example from my stock for the ugly, not uniform background color:

amlblood3.jpg

slightly more than one year later:

loki_juvi.jpg

I'll try to get a newer photo of him, he's in shed right now.

That's a very nice animal you have there! There's no doubt that one is a sunglow :cheers:

I don't have any siblings with the traits in question that I've been able to follow over that period that I've bred but in 6 months I'll have some yearlings (amel and amel mot siblings) that I can compare.

Based on the info given, what you have is an Amelanistic corn snake het Anerythristic A & het Diffused (Bloodred)

Colors change is so variable from hatchling to adult, for now I would call it...

Amel het Anery A & het Diffused (Bloodred)

Then as it matures and has several sheds you may decide to call it...

Sunglow (Amel) het Anery A & het Diffused (Bloodred)

Great looking snake either way.. :)

Rick

lucia said:
I have a little male cornsnake, but I don´t know what to call him. Sunglow, Outcrossed bloodred or Amelanistic??

His parents are - aneryistic het amelanistic mother and Bloodred het amelanistic father.
He has no white on his body, and the stomach is white/orange.

Back