• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Swimming

nicali84

I've read swimming is a good idea before handling after eating to get them to poo before they do it on you!!

Is the bath ok? How warm should the water be? How shallow should the water be?

Thanks.

I have 19 snakes. I handle two or three every evening. In the past three years, I've been pooped on by a snake maybe four times. I don't think you really have to worry about it. The adults get 48 hours to digest, the babies get 72 hours.

I have 19 snakes. I handle two or three every evening. In the past three years, I've been pooped on by a snake maybe four times. I don't think you really have to worry about it. The adults get 48 hours to digest, the babies get 72 hours.

Depends on the snake... my big guy did it every time I got him out for months.

When I was swimming him. I would test the water on the underside of my wrist just like you would a baby bottle. It needs to be barely lukewarm. If it's a small snake be very careful of the drain plugs or the overflow holes... they can be fairly fast and you'd hate to lose one that way.

If you use the bathtub, I'd recommend leaving a portion of it dry, that way the snake can get out for a moment and not panic... although most will panic a little anyway until they get use to it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If yours develops into a habitual pooper, then try it.

However, I've had multiple Corns since 1991 and I've only ever been pooped on at the vet, when they're doing something that hurts. Hopefully not a scenario that you'll have.

I wasn't that keen on getting him to swim anyway, he doesn't even sit in his water bowl so not sure how much he'd like it. I'll just keep a tissue handy just in case!

Thanks.

I've only own my Banded Amel for a couple months, and i've been pooped on about 4 times. I've been getting a little bowl, put in some warm water in it, and have her squirm around in it. She'll get worked up then the tail will rise.
Easy clean up too :)

I've only own my Banded Amel for a couple months, and i've been pooped on about 4 times. I've been getting a little bowl, put in some warm water in it, and have her squirm around in it. She'll get worked up then the tail will rise.
Easy clean up too :)

Yup, that will work too... just make sure that the lukewarm is closer to luke than warm :) I think it only took 4 or 5 swims for my older male to decide not to use me/the carpet for his toilet. :)

Back