• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Swimming

iloveblastbeatz

I let my snake swim around the bath tub frequently so he can get some exercise. The only problem is he really doesn't like it and is usually frantically swimming around trying to get out. This makes me feel bad and I usually take him out after a little while because I don't want to stress him out. So my question is: Will he always hate swimming? I know some snakes don't mind swimming in water but mine absolutely hates it. I was wondering if I put him in water enough times he would get used to it, or should I just not let him go in water anymore since it probably stresses him out. Thanks ahead for any advice :)

In the wild, corns would rarely swim, so I'm curious why you are swimming him? Does he need to lose weight or something? I doubt that he will ever get to like it since it's not natural. I swam my big guy for awhile, but that was only to keep him pooping in the tub and not on me or my rugs. After awhile he quit, so I quit.

I did it for exercise, and for the same reason as you, to poop there instead of on me!

I'm guessing that your guy will never grow to love it. I know Kieran never did. Once he stopped pooping in the tub, I quit swimming him. Apparently he got the hint as we've not had a problem since. If your guy isn't overweight, he/she really doesn't need the swimming for exercise.

I think steven (A.K.A Stephen) Swims his females, so that they dont get eggbound, and that guy is a crazy amazing breeder! I don't think he's ever had an eggbound girl, and he produces amazing hatchlings. So..its not like it'd hurt the little guy to get some exercise, and I plan on swiming my girls when I get them.

If you do continue to swim your snake, make sure the temperature of the water is in an acceptable range. Do you have a temperature gun to check this? Your snake might actually be really uncomfortable in the water.

if your snake doesn't like swimming but you still want to "poop" him, you can put a small amount of water in the sink and plop him in there - just enough to cover the body but not enough that he has to make any effort to stay afloat. It should still make him 'go' and he won't find it AS stressful (still might not like it either though)

I think steven (A.K.A Stephen) Swims his females, so that they dont get eggbound, and that guy is a crazy amazing breeder! I don't think he's ever had an eggbound girl, and he produces amazing hatchlings. So..its not like it'd hurt the little guy to get some exercise, and I plan on swiming my girls when I get them.

Is there fact to back this up, or is it just an opinion among various herpers that swimming keeps females from getting eggbound?

Hes a little too big for my sink lol. When I would put him in there he would slither right out. Oh well, he wins! No more water for him!

ya, my Amel Boy is full grown. You just got to direct them back in, I find it's usually just as the tail end is coming out of the sink...something about the angle...is usually when you can see him start to go - I can move him over the toilet, he is my cleanest snake. Except for the fact he knocks over all my bathroom-stuff, but it's better than having to clean poop.

We just hang out in my bathroom for a bit, 2 or 3 days after I fed him, and when he is relaxed enough to go. He won't go if he feels stressed or pissy.

hmmmmmmmmmmm, I always used the bathtub and left the far end dry. It gave Kieran a break and I could direct him back into the water. It also helped me not get it too deep or two warm. My water never has heated up that fast.

Is there fact to back this up, or is it just an opinion among various herpers that swimming keeps females from getting eggbound?

I swim my females a few times a week during breeding season, as I can. While there isn't any studies I've seen, it just makes sense that a well exercised snake is healthier. Since it's something I've always done, I have no comparison, but feel they do much better. I have yet to have a snake that likes it though.

Enjoy!

-Tonya

Back