• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Table time.

rraabbiitt

Mongloid Reptilian
My baby corn's just got settled in this week and very happy to say the least. ;)

He seams to be very curious and always wants to explore. I know you shouldn't but is it ever okay to let them in a controlled environment?

I mean this snake is one of the most friendly snakes I've ever held in my life(not that I've held many snakes or anything). I'm just curious how much freedom you give your guys' corns? I'm assuming with age and size you give them more freedom as you would any human being, but how much?

My baby is just a baby still and could get lost anywhere! I'm letting him get on the table on on my lap for a couple seconds at a time. I try to keep a hand on him just in case he got any ideas.

You should never let your Corn loose anywhere unless you can get your hands on him instantly. They're great escape artists and can squeeze into the smallest spaces imaginable - this doesn't go away with age. A friend of mine once lost a four and a half foot adult and eventually found it coiled up inside the casing for an electrical extension cable.

You certainly shouldn't "give them more freedom" as they get older. They don't understand the concept of coming back once they've got away from you.

Some people exercise them by giving them supervised baths, but you have to be careful not to let them near outlets, overflows etc. Also, they can exercise by climbing up and down stairs, but always with you next to them. Make sure there are no cracks in the walls or skirting board - the temptation will just be too great for them!

And don't imagine that they slow down as they get older, either. An adult Corn can put on a turn of speed that will leave you grabbing at thin air.

Absolutely. They have no problem with sliding through their own poop (you can never quite spot clean fast enough), and they can carry salmonella which causes a nasty upset stomach. Don't want that on my hands if I rub my eyes or eat a sandwich!

I also wash my hands before handling as well. This makes sure that I don't have any traces of household/personal chemicals on my hands (cleaners, perfumes etc) that could be harmful to the snake.

well yea I automatically assumed the pre-handling wash. :bird: thanks for your info it really helped me!

It sounds like you're a very conscientious owner. The advice you've been given is good. I allow mine to exercise on the floor, the couch, or a climbing branch in the house, and even on a low tree branch. The caveat is STAY RIGHT WITH THE SNAKE AT ALL TIMES. You can't be too careful; they really are escape artists and can vanish in a trice, bright colors and adult length notwithstanding.

aha! Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

Yeah he has only been on the floor once when he tried going up my arm, didn't seam to want to run away from his caring owner too fast. :rofl:

He's such a nice snake though, he only deserves the best of the best. :)
I'm taking great care of him, no worries here.

Back