• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

TAHHHDUMMM!!!!!!

amanda007

Read, read, read!
Introducing....

Chauncey!
He is a beautiful little Snow. His body is so pink it's translucent in places! I think you can see his last pinkie nearing the end of his digestive tract...lol. He has wonderful white markings. There is a spot at the base of his head that is shaped like the letter "C", hence the name Chauncey. (That, and I like how dorky and formal that name is.)

1015091907.jpg

It's hard to get a good picture of a little snakey that is always...
1015091907b.jpg

...moving...
1015091907a.jpg

...around!

We got him today at the local pet shop. BEFORE YOU START GROANING!!!!
They had a feeding schedule, each hatchling in it's own little tub with aspen bedding and water, and the breeder was a local woman who manages the fish and reptile at that very store. She had 3,000 hatchlings this year alone! Everyone at the store is really knowledgeable, very helpful, and forth giving with information. All of the babies were active and looked extremely healthy. They told me to call tomorrow with any questions, as she was working, and she was described as "nuts about snakes" and "loves to talk about them all the time".
My little Chauncey :)D) was clear eyed, active, curious, and eager to get out of his little home. He seems used to being handled, and seems to like crawling on your arm for a bit, then resting and just watching you (and the dog...every time my dog walked by he watched him...lol) Well, we aren't sure if it is a He, but we decided that for now it doesn't matter. We aren't planning on breeding, and if He does turn out to be a She, Chauncey isn't too bad for a girl either.

We got him home and into his little viv with no problems. He spent his first hour or so exploring, climbing his stick, checking out the water and his hideys, and managing to get himself in a little bit of trouble:

1015091820.jpg

That little pink line at the top is him, on the tiny lip. He spent 10 min or so up there, while we were laughing and trying to get a good photo, before he looked back and seemed to go "Oh sh*t...the limb I used to get up here is too far away now.....hmmmm......" He managed to get down with minimal issues lol.
Right now he is burrowed in his aspen bedding for the night. The UTH is working perfectly still, and the rheostat my hubby whipped up is holding the temp at a lovely 86 degrees.
Life is good. :spinner:

Aww, he's a cutie. Congrats!

And we know not all pet shops are bad. It's just the few that are make people understandably wary.

Thanks! I feel like a new parent lol.

On a side note, I know it is recommended that you don't feed a new snake until it's had a few days to adjust to it's new home, but they usually feed on Saturday's, and since every 7 days is a little long between feedings for such a little guy (or so I'm told), should I try and feed him on Saturday and then go to every 5-6 days from there? Or should I give him more time than just 2 days?

Congratulations on your new arrival! Do let him have at least 2-3 days in his viv with no handling before you feed him for the first time in his new home. He looks healthy, and it won't matter that you're feeding him a few days behind what would have been done at the shop. Healthy hatchlings can go 30 days with no food and no problem.

May you and Chauncey have many happy years together!

He is very cute congrats on him!! I wait 3-5 days to feed and others wait a week, so thats up to you though waiting allows him to be comfy and increases the chance of a successful feeding:)

He's adorable - and you seem so into him!

My little guy was lounging on the lip of his cage for quite some time when I first brought him home. He's such a dork!:dgrin:

Back