• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tail rattles and chewing

Senusenu

When I have mentioned corn snakes tail rattling, people have looked at me funny, and some have even asked if they had rattles on their tails.

I got a good video today, from the lovely Erebus. He wasn't happy with me changing his paper and pulling his old shed, so I grabbed my phone.

Erebus rattling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQnfRcg4WAI

And a bonus of Cygnet chewing on me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T2CmdZE0HE She got a little enthusiastic there XD

Hope this answers with two questions- what's it like when a corn rattles their tail, and how much does a corn snake bite hurt.

Lol these are funny videos, love the tail rattling!
My Seamus just started doing that recently, it sounded exactly like that, and as I'd never heard him do that before, I was totally freaked out lol then I realized what it was.... I snatched him up and cuddled him, much to his displeasure :p

Rattling and chewing

Cool videos.

A lot of people don't know, but almost all snakes will rattle their tails when they are uncomfortable, threatened or scared. Of course the rattlesnake has the actual rattles that produce a much louder noise, but if you come upon a rat snake, copper head, corn snake, (or any other snake in the wild) that rattles its tail in the leaves or gravel on the ground, you'd swear you had just heard a rattlesnake.

I had a Boa Constrictor for about 12 years and she would rattle when she didn't want to be handled. I now have a fairly new corn snake, and he has rattled several times since I've had him. It's usually right after eating, during a cage cleaning, or when their eyes are in "Blue."

As far as the chewing thing goes, so far I've not had to deal with that, but I did see a video of a guy with a King snake that latched on and would not let go. He got a small cap full of "Listerine" which he said doesn't hurt humans and will not harm snakes either, and he drizzled it over the snakes mouth. The snake let go instantly.

So there ya go.

I'm keeping a small bottle of listerine now by the cage..... just in case.

Yes! I once cornered (unknowingly at first but then on purpose cause it was an awesome rare moment) a adult black runner. They live all up in our yard. For a while last year, one even nested inside the siding right beside our front door. so most days, right when I first opened the door, I would often see a cute little black head poking out the door jam. Well, one day, I must have startled it while it was hunting swifts and anoles because I caught it in the corned where it couldn't really escape easily. So it rattled its tail at me. Took me by completely surprised but then I laughed cause here it was, this tiny little black runner trying to act all big n bad.

I love when my little corns rattle their tails at me, it's so cute. As far as the bites go, because I keep retics and burms, I keep a bottle of really strong whiskey in my snake room. You get grabbed and wrapped by one of them and the whiskey will get them off real quick. I'm not worried about my little colubrids bitting me, I kept garters as a kid and got tagged by them plenty of times. They all let go eventually.

snake room

Back