• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tail rattling

ltsweety2

Does anyones corn snake rattle their tails when they annoyed? I dont pay it much mind but it makes the kids nervous...

Just wondering if this is normal?
3c7a099f9253f31bb51001cd1678ff62.jpg

This is her with my youngest [emoji7]

Keya

Hi Keya!!

How ya been?

Rattling is normal for some corns, but not all or most. I have 3 adults (1 female & 2 males) and 1 unsexed yearling. My adult female (Lilly) and my yearling (Ozzy) have both rattled their tails but I don't know if it's just when they might be annoyed. Lilly has definitely displayed having somewhat of a temper and has rattled her tail sometimes when I just lifted a hide she was under. However, both have sporadically rattled their tails (sometimes still do!) when they are fed, so it may also be just an indication of excitement. My adult males (Bozo & Chili-Pepper) have never rattled. Don't know why. Must be a personality trait.

A lot of snake species will rattle their tails or flatten their heads to mimic Rattlesnakes.
It's their way of trying to ward off predators.

Im good thanks for asking and yes it has happened durning feeds and when the boys try to get her out of her home...
She also darts off when she is held some times. She didnt start any of this til she was like 6 months... She one now and a lot bigger so it's easier to control now...

Keya

It's just a way for a snake to say "Leave me alone!" Perfectly normal. Often seen when captive snakes are eating, or when wild snakes are disturbed. It is not at all predictive of a bite.

Many, maybe most, snakes of all species rattle. Rattlesnakes just took it to a whole 'nother level when they evolved and moved away from swamps and out to the prairies to prey on prairie dogs, rabbits, and other small mammals that lived there. Bison herds kept the grass mowed down, so it was the perfect environment for small grass-eating mammals. Rattlesnakes followed the prey out to the prairies. Rattlesnakes, being heavy bodied and relatively slow ambush predators, needed a way to warn large hooved animals to keep away, and evolved the hollow scales on their tail tips which greatly amplified the tail rattling noise. The rattlesnake, rattling, is saying, hey, I'm here, don't step on me!! Snakes without rattles do just fine on their own, though, when rattling their tail against leaves (or plastic bins)!

None of my corns have done it yet but I have new black rat snake that isn't feeling well and he'll do it in his terrarium. And corns are in the rat snake family so makes sense. Also I do a lot of herping and see it a lot. It's just a warning sign!

Ayesha rattles her tail when she's being a grumpy butt and is telling me she's gonna have my fingers xD

I just scoop her up and blow her kisses [yes she does go for my nose a few times before she settles down] then she's a total cuddle bunny.

Back