• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Taiwan Beauties?

SteelJawEmily

So I see a lot of these around here and they are gorgeous! I wanted to know a little about them :) How long do they get, are they as easy as corns...etc etc.

Thanks in advance for all your help! :D

Taiwan Beautys are large semi-aboreal snakes from Taiwan and the surrounding area. They can be aggressive and tend to be flighty. My guy is a late '07 and is 5.5 foot long. He eats a weaned rat every 7 days because of his fast metabolisim. PM me with more questions if you have any

Basic care-wise, I'd say as easy as corns, yeah. Comparing to corn snake care... Cooler temps (think lower 80s as your absolute highest temps--but I'll leave specifics to more experienced members), somewhat higher humidity, and a HUGE enclosure, and you'll have a happy rat snake on your hands.

They can get to be around 9 feet long, and are actually rather strong (as compared to, say, a corn snake of the same size). They are, indeed, semi-arboreal, and VERY active. The bigger the enclosure you can give them, the better--they WILL use every inch of space (floor and height alike) you give them.

How docile they are depends on the snake. Like any species, there are specimens who are particularly calm, and specimens who would just like to eat your face off. They tend to have amazing feeding responses, and, IME, aren't likely to differentiate between food and hand when they're in the "mood." They are also rather smart, curious snakes, and will often hang out in the open just so they can observe their surroundings (or so it appears--but I can't really claim to know what goes on inside a snake's head, can I?).

Floof is correct about temperment mine is the sweetest snake and I hace him out for family events and everything Floofs tries to eat her.....

Floof is correct about temperment mine is the sweetest snake and I hace him out for family events and everything Floofs tries to eat her.....

And towels! Let's not forget the towel incident. She latched on to and tried to eat a damp, slightly warm towel one day when I had her out to remove some stuck shed (my fault for handling her in blue). The same day, she bit herself trying to get me, which almost immediately sent her in to another shed cycle.

Lucy's not a much-handled snake, though, and never has been. She's always been extremely food-driven, too, even for a Beauty (here I add "from what I've heard," because Luc is my one and only Beauty). The only time Lucy isn't in total food-frenzy-mode is when she's in blue, and then she just hisses your ear off and struggles until you put her back...

Anyway, my point here is don't judge the behavior of all Beauties by mine. Each Beauty has the potential to end up like Lucy (temperament-wise), sure, but I try to view Lucy as a slight "exception to the rule" with all the docile Beauties (TBS and VBB alike) owned by people just here on CS.com.

Beauties are great snakes. Despite Lucy being so fussy (so to speak), she's made me fall in love with them... I look forward to the day that I can get a hatchling or two to grow up myself. I do almost want to call them "intermediate" snakes, though, between their size, activity, and potential for being unruly.

I think they are one of the most wonderful snakes and everyone should have them.

Back