• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Taiwan beauty snake

Thoth

the n00biest n00b
I know at least one of you has one of these. What's its temperament like? I've read that Asian Elaphe imports tend to be heavily parasitized. Does yours have any health problems? Do you consider it a good acquisition?

I've always thought they were pretty, but I never really considered having one. But my local herp store just got one in. They were too busy to approach for questions, but if it grows at about the same rate as a corn, it looked to be at least a year old. They're asking $160 for it. (Does that sound about right?)

-jimmie

Thoth said:
I know at least one of you has one of these. What's its temperament like? I've read that Asian Elaphe imports tend to be heavily parasitized. Does yours have any health problems? Do you consider it a good acquisition?
They tend to be feisty. They can be tamed with regular handling, but tend to go "cage sour" if not handled frequently enough, reverting to type. They tend to be excellent eaters with good feeding responses, and strike hard enough even as youngsters that you should invest in a set of tongs to off the mice in. They get rather large, over nine foot, so require a 40 gal or larger viv. They are very fast moving, and can shoot right past you when you open the viv (something the one I had frequently did with her previous owner). They aren't the placid, easy-going ratsnake occidentals are used to, but can be a lot of fun, and there is no denying their beauty.

Thanks, Lee. That sounds like a little too much for me right now. Maybe when I'm more experienced with snakes, I'll reconsider. This one's gonna have to be one of the many, many "ones" that got away.

I have 2. There absolute bastards and one of them has no problem at all hunting and trying to kill me. Pretty strong as well. Pretty difficult to get them to do anything they don't want.

I love them :) Maby babies next year.

Back