• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Taking your Corn for a walk in the park.

Hello all,
I always enjoy the pics on here of your Corns crawling through the grass. I'm assuming that a lot of you take them out in your yards and let them have some play time. I was curious if many of you had possibly taken your Corn to a local park near your home and let it have a crawl in the grass, (Under very close supervision of course)? What kind of reactions do you get from the public when you take your Corn for a visit to the park? :)

Wasn't there an incident in the past couple years where a person had taken a bigger snake to a park and was attacked and the snake stomped to death? I think I would not do that.

Wasn't there an incident in the past couple years where a person had taken a bigger snake to a park and was attacked and the snake stomped to death? I think I would not do that.

yikes! That breaks my heart :(

I took my little guy outside yesterday. He likes to see new places. I live in an apartment right now so there are usually people outside. Well there were a couple of my neighbor's kids playing outside and one of the boys was very fascinated but apprehensive.

I suppose when people aren't expecting to see a snake, they would be apprehensive. Especially with all misconceptions floating around.

The most we've done is take one of the calmer snakes to my daughter's school when we picked her up (one-time thing...and the kids were really good with her), but it's not something that we do on a regular basis (my daughter's teacher had discussed the possibility of bringing some of the snakes in and doing a little presentation for her first-grade class, so we brought one of the snakes in for the teacher to see)

I would not consider letting it down or out of my control though.

And we had her in a mesh bag for the walk, and only out for a short while while we were there.

The kids' reactions ranged from extreme curiousity to fear. There were only one or two people (mostly the parents) there genuinely terrified of her. Although most of the kids who seemed a bit afraid at first were also quite curious.

In one of my previous neighbourhoods was a bit of a park like area. I have taken a snake out there for a photo session a couple of times and some adult people stopped to watch and ask some questions, some kids only watched but most of the kids passing wanted to see and feel the snake I had. One kid wanted to hold it and her picture taken, so did one muslim woman (with covered hair), she told me she wanted to proof her family that muslims can hold a snake if they want to or something like that. I loved those snake photo sessions :) In my recent neighbourhood people are quite conservative so it's probably not a good idea to show everybody I have exotic pets.

I have a park near my place with hiking trails into the woods. What are people's thoughts on taking her there? I would keep hold of her. I cant see any negative repocussions to that. I think it would be fun to take her and show her some new scenery.

I think anytime you have your snake outdoors there are risks birds, other people, animals, escape...Wasn't there just a thread about a snake in a tree photo shoot and the snake climbed the tree, it was caught but not a risk I would want to take.

I have taken my larger corn to a park. There were no people and it's a very little park. I let her climb on the monkey bars (there were no trees or anything so she couldn't go higher). She really enjoyed it, but I would probably avoid it if there were people...

i sometimes take my snakes out to the local garden/park to get photos in the trees and stuff.

however, i DON'T drape them around my shoulders for the walk there, or anything. i put them in a pillowcase secured with some thick elastic bands, and then put them in a reusable shopping bag.

i try not to call a lot of attention to myself or the snake. at this park it's mostly just people passing through with their dogs or whatever. snap some photos, and back in the pillowcase they go.

i absolutely dislike it when people bring their snakes with them and let them slither all over their neck. that's what gives snake owners a bad name!

Normally the only time I take my snakes any where is to do an educational event. Every once in awhile I will take one with me to the pet store or feed store here but I would never take one out to a park or any where in public other than a pet related place mainly because there are so many people scared of snakes. Also the laws in our state do not allow you to take exotic animals out in public unless they are going to the vet, so that's another reason I will only take them to pet stores. Even though that is illegal to people don't mind at pet stores and like to see them.

I take my snakes out in my yard. I rent one floor of a house, so I have upstairs and downstairs neighbors who share the yard. They are curious about the snakes, but have no strong feelings either way. They don't feel uncomfortable being there when I have a snake out in the grass, so I don't worry about it. I can also trust that there are no pesticides in my backyard.

I've often thought it would be nice to bring one of my snakes to the park, but I don't think the risks would be worth it. I really don't want to attract attention from other people, especially if it turns out to be negative attention.

I live on a college campus and sometimes bring mine out into the quad to hang out in the sun. Sometimes people come over and are curious, but for the most part they don't notice or don't say anything. And even when I put him down on the ground, he is never more than a foot from me, so I can always reach down and scoop him up if I need to.

Back