• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Taking your corns outside

shugmeistercat

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did look but couldn't find a thread) or if it goes in the dumb question category (but I'd rather ask a dumb question and have a happy, healthy snake...).

I've noticed that several users seem to let their corns 'play' out in the sunshine (not being held). I'm just wondering if there are any special rules other than the obvious ones like: not to leave unattended; not to let them out of your sight; not to let them where any potential predators may be; not in public areas where people who don't like snakes may be. Or do users just let go for the photo opportunities? Any tips appreciated. Thanks

I think you covered all the bases there......And a rep point for living on the worlds biggest race track........And they got NO speed limits, folks...Imagine that...LOL

Yeah, Mike's right, you've covered all of the basics there. :)

I take my snakes out sometimes during nice weather, mainly for photos, but it's nice to take them out and let them roam for a bit (supervised, of course) too.

To be honest, I'll take them out to my front garden or in my street if it's a nice day (not very often around here, lol), and I don't really care if there are people that dislike snakes. Take them where you want to take them (within reason, obviously, and not for too long due to stress etc.), it's not illegal. There are people that dislike dogs, but that doesn't mean you can't take your dog for a walk. The worst I've ever had were some rude stares and the occasional 'eww', but sometimes they'll come over and ask questions, and leave with nicer thoughts about snakes. :)

All the best

David

I think you covered all the bases there......And a rep point for living on the worlds biggest race track........And they got NO speed limits, folks...Imagine that...LOL

Awww thanks. Yep no national speed limit:) - although it only works when you can find the roads without the roadworks or the slow people!!!

Snake Dave it's not so much the fear of upsetting people as I don't see why my poor snake should be subject to the ignorance :) Actually it's more to do with the fact that I think snakes have a bad enough press without me adding to it. I'll have to carry the snake to my mum's (but he will be in a carry cage) so people will get a chance to see him, but hopefully without being too scared or pathetic - I don't think I could cope!!! :smash:

My only opinion would be that even though it is nice in the sunshine, don't make your snake stay out in the sun for too long. They can readily overheat, even though it feels nice to you since you can sweat. When I bring mine out I alternate having them in a sunny area and in the shade to keep them at a good temperature.

Other than that, I think you covered everything!

When we first put our snake outside on the ground we kept a hand on her untill we were comfortable with her speed and abilities outside. Once we got used to what she could do we are a little more relaxed.
Just make sure there are no holes or hides near by to dive into.
I think the best pics that I've seen on this site were in trees, and it sort of isolates them or confines them to a specific area.

Never forget how fast they can become. I had mine out yesterday, just for the hell of it. Damn kid darted off scared me and the dog. I caught him but I made sure to keep a better eye on him after that.

If you have a hatchling I would wait until he has some size. You want to be able to see him if he does get away.

My only opinion would be that even though it is nice in the sunshine, don't make your snake stay out in the sun for too long. They can readily overheat, even though it feels nice to you since you can sweat. When I bring mine out I alternate having them in a sunny area and in the shade to keep them at a good temperature.

Other than that, I think you covered everything!

Agreed. I had my black milk out for 20 mins this week and he was struggling in the sun. He was panting and I could feel he was heating up. Once in the shade and after a nice long drink he was perfectly fine. Lesson learnt.

Black snakes will suffer the most in direct sunlight as black absorbs heat.

I take mine out in the garden on nice days, but I have not yet allowed them to leave me. I'm not that worried about losing them - I'm more concerned about them picking something up from the grass or the plants. I know I'm cushioning them in bubble wrap here but I'm germophobic at the best of times. :shrugs:

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did look but couldn't find a thread) or if it goes in the dumb question category (but I'd rather ask a dumb question and have a happy, healthy snake...).

I've noticed that several users seem to let their corns 'play' out in the sunshine (not being held). I'm just wondering if there are any special rules other than the obvious ones like: not to leave unattended; not to let them out of your sight; not to let them where any potential predators may be; not in public areas where people who don't like snakes may be. Or do users just let go for the photo opportunities? Any tips appreciated. Thanks

I take mine outside but I do not take my hands off my smaller snakes (hatchlings, yearlings) I personally think the snake should be an adult.....young ones are more darty and unsure....older snakes are slower, fatter and easier to catch.

And know the snakes personality. One of my big girls is very calm, so I usually wrap her around something when I put her down.....if their on a flat surface their more likely to dart then if you wrapped them around a banister or branch or something.

As a newb who has read much more than I've experienced with snakes, I was under the impression that taking them out is not a good idea from the standpoint of picking up bacteria, mites, etc. Is this not as much of a concern afterall? What about fertilizers on the ground? No problems with that either? I think all my reading has made me a bit paranoid.

Back