• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Taming my corn snake

Hi Newbie!

I let my snakes know I'm there by offering them the back of my hand (like you do to a dog you don't know) and then I pick them up. Snakes are more comfortable if you support their body in more than one spot, so don't just grab the tail ot the middle....and most deffinately not the head!! Depending on the ae of your anke, when you got it and it's individual personality, it could be very relaxed from the beginning, never really like being handled, or it will warm up to you at it's own pace.

I'm lucky I naver had tame my snake. After the initial week of adjusting to her new tank, she was fine with me, and yes she was a hatchling. The only time she went a bit mad was she couldn't get any grip on my bedsheets and she really wriggled fast to try and move forward. I didn't want to grab her as that would of given her the grip she needed to move. No trouble before or since, and hopefully *touch wood* none in the future. She is a female though so I'm expecting her to go at any time ROFL.

The simplest way to tell you how to tame your snake is to handle it periodically but not every day. When you pick it up stay away from it's head.
For the most part I find that no matter how much or how little I handle them some just do not like being handled. Some hatchlings start out as little biters but usually calm down as they get older, and some never calm down.

if (when) it bites you or strikes dont give in and put it back, or it will learn that bite = go back in. and will probably bite you everytime you pick it up.

ditto on what energi2er said

Also, if you handle your snake with confidence and are firm and gentle with it, they seem to be less nervous. One other thought is that corns are usually fine once you get them out of their vivs. So just don't pull back if he strikes or anything, just go in and get him. Good luck with your new little one! :)

Back