• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tank/room temp questions..

enigma94

I just reciently purchased my new corn and got his tank all set up. I have a digital thermometer in the room his tank is in and it was 73 when i first put him in the tank. So he immediately when to the hot side fo the tank as i expected. But now that i've let the room get up to arround 75-76 he is only on the cool side of the tank. Does this indicate that the tank is too warm for him(even the cold side)??

I've only had her for a couple days so i havnt had a chance to get a thermometer with a probe yet, but its definately on my to buy list.

The only thing that it indicates is that the snake moved. The temperatures in the room and the cage could be difference, without a thermometer in the cage who knows? :shrugs: Like you have stated you need to get a thermometer with a probe. Are you using a uth?

I wouldn't worry about your corn being on the cool side. Mine spend most of their time on the cool side as well. They know where they want to be. Just make sure your temps are correct, and let him go where he wants.

I turn off my uth's if its a hot day, and just turn them on at night. Here in Texas, at least half of the year is hot. Who needs a timer when I can flip a switch. A probe thermometer is a good idea though.
Cheers!

Yes i'm using a UTH. and i will probably need to turn the heater off durring the summer here. it gets 115+ degrees and would cost me a fortune to keep my house at 75. so its usually between 78-80 in the summer. I guess i'll know whats right when i get my thermometer. thanks for the replies!

I have my on the glass temp set to right at 87 degrees. Is this good? And what do you suggest I use to keep my probe in the dead center of my uth under my aspen? Billy likes to burrow and I know he would move it all over the place.

sorry for the dumb post but whats the difference between a probe thermometer and a non probe?....and whats a UTH? please answer even though its stupid

A probe thermometer you can stick down in to things like a cooking thermometer. The type you use for your vivarium (reptile enclosure like an aquarium) is for terrariums and vivariums. The kind I have is digital on one end and has a long wire and a probe down at the other end. You can stick it down in your substrate or on top of it to get an accurate temp so your snake isn't too hot or cold. Here is an example... http://www.herpasylum.com.au/thermometers.htm As you can see, it is totally different from a regular thermometer you would use for yourself.
A UTH is an under tank heater and it goes on the outside and under your tank :)
I am pretty new to this too so, I hope I helped. I have asked so many questions on here, I feel like I am in reptile school. LOL!

OH! And Owen, that is just an example of a fancy digital probe, I got mine for like $10 at Petsmart. It just depends on how much you want to spend. The less expensive one's work just fine. :)

Back