• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

TANK TOO BIG

anthony1230

hi
im going to get a hatchling and i got a 55 gallon ( 48x12x12 ) and i got a 30 gallon tank ( 36x12x16x). the 55 has fish in it but im going to transfer the fish into the 30 gallon and use my 55 gallon for my snake. is this possible? and is the 55 going to b too big. and can i save the time and jus keep my snake permintly in the 30 or will wit b too small?thankz to all in advace
anthony:D

a

30 gallon should be fine for your snake for life really. I would keep the fish where they are and put the snake in the 30. Although some hatchlings feel insecure in larger tanks and refuse to eat, if this is the case with your hatchling then you can just buy a cheap rubbermaid shoebox and keep it in that until its ready for the 30.

bmm

um question

hey thankz for the help,
but how long do i keep the snake in the box?? and like how big should the box be? and couldnt i jus make the 30 smaller by dividing it wit some cardboard?? but a 30 gallon is going to b big enough for its whole life?? thankz again! :)

yes

You could divide the 30 gallon.

The rubbermaid shoeboxes I am talking about are just the same size basically as a shoebox but they are made by rubbermaid with tight fitting lids.

An adult corn could live in a 20 gallon its whole life, although as they grow they will appreciate a 30 or 40 gallon. Even a 50 gallon when they are adults! but babies need smaller spaces so yes, either divide it or buy a rubbermaid shoebox.

bmm

Most people say the first year or two should be spent in a small enclosure, something the size of a ten gallon tank. If you do choose to stick a hatchling in a large tank just be sure you provide it with lots of little hides, so that it will feel secure. My main issue with putting a hatchling in such a big tank, is that I'd never be able to find her in all that space :)

I'd say play it by ear, and see how it goes, if your hatchling isn't eating well while being in the larger tank then transfer her to something smaller..

good luck

i bought my hatchling at about 15"-18" in length and i house it in a 36x158x18 tank with no problems.
i have a 60w heatlamp suspended at one end directly over a undre-tanl heat pad. the other end has ventilation hole in the lid top.
this gets a temp gradient of 70 - 90, with one hide in each zone of the tank (one at each end and one in the middle)
i also have a plant in there "flamimng katie" for decoration
the substrate is a kind of organinc cat-litter made from dried corn (allegedly digestible if some gets swallowed accidentally)
i had my corn for 6 or 7 weeks now and it has taken 2 f/t pinkies every saturday without fail , and is timid and easy to handle although it does spend most of its day hidden away from view.#
i think some people would say a tank of that sie is too big for a young cornsnake but i guess it depends on the invidual.

hope this helps

ok thankz again.
so use a 10 gallon until the snakes gets about how long in length?? i got a few questions.
can i use repti-bark for substrate? can i use like a half cut log hollowed out for a hide?? can i use a 30 gallon tank for the snkaes whole life? can i use a repti-therm undertank heater? do i have to have an over head lite? how much do i feed the hatchling a pinkie? and how big should the pinkie be? and how should i feed iit to the snake if its frozen, how do i thaw it out.? and should i jus get some drift wood from the fish section for the branch or should i get one of those fake ones? oh and also i was at my local pet store and they had corn snow snakes for 80 dollers. i was like wha? is this too high? and they had albino ones for 50. i like the both so which one is better? can albino not live as long or what.
thankz to all,
anthony:p

Whoa

You should have bought a book first at least.

1. Use a ten gallon until the snake is longer than it length ways. Its not that big of a deal so relax. But you NEED to buy a cornsnake book.

2. Yes repti bark is fine although messy and hard to clean in my opinion, you can also use paper towel.

3. Yes you can cut a log in half but make sure its clean.

4. Yes you can use the 30 gallon for the entire life like I answered before.

5. Yes a under the tank heater is a good choice. 82-85 on the hot side, room temp on the cool side.

6. No you dont have to have an overhead light.

7. You thawed a pinkie in warm water until its not frozen. Pinkies come in basically one size. small. *L*

8. Snow corns for 80 dollars is not that bad but snakes are worth what you will pay. Although I wouldn't buy from ANY pet store and would buy from a good breeder at a show or online.

Buy : The Cornsnake Manual by Kathy Love.

bmm

I have to disagree with bmm on one thing: I don't think $80 for a snow corn is very good. Breeders sell them for around $30 at reptile shows. You could get one shipped from South Moutain Reptiles (www.cornsnake.net) for $70...

Color morphs do not affect lifespan in captivity.

But before you buy anymore animals, PLEASE do some research into their care!

When I say 80 dollars is o.k. if you are willing to pay, thats because I live in a small town in canada.

Here, you can't always get air shipping from Kathy Love or Rich Z unless you are spending alot. Secondly, there are not as many breeders here, with more land area. Which means the closest to me is an hour away. Or more. So an 80 dollar snow corn at a local ((clean ) petshop wouldn't be bad in my case. Just wanted to share that with him.

bmm

to big?

My friend asked me basicly the same question only with a milk snake he is looking at. I simply asked him to think about it. In the wild they arn't contained to a small area. The point was already made that it may be harder to find him (assuming you have the right amount of hides). I have two adult corns in a 50 gal breeder tank. They are each at least 4 feet and usualy are found together under the astroturf (sometimes in the hides).

Back