• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tanks vs. Tubs?

Cruxite

So, this is purely just out curiousity, but is there a difference between buying a plastic tub versus a 'reptile special' aquarium tank? Apart from the initial cosmetic appearance and how one heats them, does it really matter to the snake what it's housed in?
I'm just wondering for future reference, since I have 3 tanks; a 55 gallon, 20 gallon and 10 gallon, and my room (albeit it is quite large) looks rather cluttered with 3 tanks in various places since I don't have a stand for my 20 gallon and it's just sittin' right on my floor. Fret not, there's nothing in it yet. :I

On a second (and totally off-the-topic) note, I plan on building a custom rack enclosure of the sorts. I haven't decided if I want to go all out and make it really snazzy with a custom shelf unit and plexiglass doors and such, or just use tubs with proper heating. 8Y

Plastic or glass, doesn't matter. Space, Temperature, correct Humidity, Ventilation are all that matter.

Well, tubs save room! I've also never had any shed issues in tubs before, I think they hold in heat/humidity better too. But most people who keep a few snakes use tanks just fine, I think they just take a little extra work!

I would say:

Tanks- prettier to look at, harder to clean, harder to get the snake out of, escape-proof if you have Critter Keepers

Bins- better sheds, allow escapes especially if not in racks, (you need to have them in a rack, and tight!), easy to get snakes out, room for more stuff because of square-ish shape, easy to clean, easy to re-order the snakes in racks, easy to evacuate your home with in a natural disaster, you can fit a lot more bins in racks in a room than tanks on tables and shelves

I think there are pros and cons to each and that the snakes really don't give two hoots either way!

It's really about which works best for you and allows you to maintain the optimum conditions for your snakes. Some folks need the convenience of tubs, others like the display qualities of tanks.

I mainly keep mine in glass-fronted vivariums (more common than tanks over here in Europe), but I use tubs for quarantining new arrivals or as "hospital" accommodation for those needing a bit of nursing. The tubs are definitely easier to keep clean - even the adult-sized ones can just be put in the bathtub, sprayed with reptile disinfectant, scrubbed and then hosed down with the shower. However, I've found it difficult to keep humidity down in tubs at times and have had to play around with the position and number of ventilation holes that I drill in them.

There's no doubt that the vivs (and I should imagine, larger glass tanks) are more of a pain to keep clean. However, I prefer the vivs because the snakes live in my lounge and I like to see them. I only have fourteen snakes and so cleaning isn't a major overhead for me. If you have a larger collection, I can definitely see how tubs would be a much more attractive option.

For tub users, any tips on getting rid of that Sterelite plastic-y smell? I use a spare tub for feeding/cleaning/temporary housing, and I've had it for 3 months and it still smells very plastic-y to me, especially when I've left the lid on overnight (never with the snake lol. It's not secure enough yet.).

I like to see my snakes move around so I have mine in tanks.
I live in a fairly small condo and have a 55g for my biggest corn, a 20L for my smallest corn, a 20L for my big leo, and two 10g for my smallest gecko, and the one with vision issues. All my stands are doubles, so I hope to get another 55g tank either for a ball python or to upgrade my smallest corn when he grows.
I don't find the tanks to be more of a hassle and I live alone. I just do full cleanings (remove reptile, remove and clean furniture, hauling them outside, hot water, bleach, soap, overnight dry, new bedding) every 6 months and quick cleanings (remove reptile, remove and clean furniture, spray tank with hot water, bleach, and soap, two rinse outs with clean water, wipe dry) every month

For tub users, any tips on getting rid of that Sterelite plastic-y smell? I use a spare tub for feeding/cleaning/temporary housing, and I've had it for 3 months and it still smells very plastic-y to me, especially when I've left the lid on overnight (never with the snake lol. It's not secure enough yet.).

I like to leave mine in front of my sliding door with the full sun coming in for a few days. The heat helps dissipate most of the smell. Other than that, leave them outside in full sun with the lids cracked so the inside heats up via greenhouse effect. As the air inside heats up and escapes, so, too will a lot of the gasses.

The same as posted above me or I like to use some of the scent remover laundry detergent you buy for washing hunting clothes ( I am an avid bow hunter as is my wife so we always have some on hand) at the Wally world it's not to expensive and just a couple tablespoons in the tub then let it soak filled with hot water to the top over night... smell gone and I have not had one come back with a smell yet. I do this with all of my hunting clothes tubs as I am overly sesitive about smells of anykind on my hunting clothes.

Steve

I use tanks, but I only have 3 reptiles, currently, and when I decide to get more corns, I may look into a rack system. There really is no difference in the snake's eyes, as long as the tubs have similar dimensions to the tank.

The only issue I have with tanks is that they take up much more room than a rack system. I think tanks are easier to heat for someone with no experience with wiring, etc. You merely stick on a UTH or lamp and you're good to go (within reason). Although, I understand that wiring for rack systems isn't too difficult to learn.

Back