• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Tarantula owners

Because they are cool, low maintenance pets!
I have 2 adult and a new "Spiderling" they are terrific
and very handleable pets too.

I'm just really terrified of spiders but very interested in over coming my fears. I watched videos about them for hours today and I just didn't know if any of the snake guys had any spider experience.

I love them! My collection is at 31 specimens of 12 species. Some of them I handle, but not a big fan of risking dropping a T to it's death.
Most of mine are docile, New World types, tho I have a couple there's no way I'm stickin my hand in the tank with!
Very interesting to watch. They groom, clean house, some dig, pounce on prey, web like mad. Easier to care for than goldfish...
A few people won't come over to your house anymore once you get into tarantulas, but if you ever wanted an exotic animal, they are top of the list.

I love the T's, and i'm not scared of them one bit. To me their more like mice or something, cos their legs are so thick and hairy etc.

but if i see a regular 'spindly' house spider, then thats it sheer terror, i scream like a girl and run whilst flapping my arms ;)

and very handleable pets too.

>.> Not quite.

Same as said before, low maintenance, cool to look at.. and.. kinda..boring. Sorry I had to say it. I really love seeing my Ts out, but it's pretty rare. Usually my H. Lividum waits for her crickets to come down into her burrow. She even moulted down there. :(

Here she is:
straitshot.jpg

I like mine because I like to watch it eat. Tarantulas are one of those animals that have been around FOREVER without changing like sharks and crocodiles. They are natures version of K.I.S.S. Tarantulas dont inject their food with poison, wrap it in a neat ball, and then suck out the juice. They grab crickets and then squish and mash the cricket up into a little ball if drippy cricket goo. (called a food bolus) If I give mine more than one. she will mash them all up in the same cricket ball. She stands on her tiptoes as soon as she starts eating. When the cricket goo starts dripping, she puts silk on the ground, spits the goo out and picks it back up with the silk.

There are some pretty ones out there too like Jessiecat's cobalt there

Pamphobeteus sp. "platyomma"

Pterinochilus murinis

I have a half dozen or so, but I pretty much only keep ones from odd areas (or with odd looks) that I collect myself: 2 localities of Rio Grande Golds, some Texas browns, and a Texas grey / Carlsbad Green.

MANY herpers keep a few inverts around. They are no more odd than a snake as a pet - and frighten no fewer people than tarantulas. I just keep them in my snake room for my own enjoyment.

KJ

KJ

maybe I'll get a small friendly one and pretend its a mouse when I handle it! What's it need for substrate, heating, and cleaning?

I am absolutly terrified of spiders yet own 3 pet T's. It's called getting over irrational fears!

I am with you Elle, I was given one last year by a shop owner. She had an egg sack that hatched and she had tons of them. She gave us about 10, she requested I pass some along to another store that are friends of ours and I kept 5. Well only 1 survived on me and its doing really well.

By the way I am extremely arachnophobic. I can feed this guy and work with him, I am just terrified now of other spiders. lol

I have around 30 or so, I forget the exact count. They are by far my favorite "pet". Easy to care for, quite, no smell and take up very little room so you can have lots.

Watching them groom, eat, etc is always fascinating.

maybe I'll get a small friendly one and pretend its a mouse when I handle it! What's it need for substrate, heating, and cleaning?

Everything is easy on tarantulas - just adjust the care for the species......just like snakes! For example, subadult and adult Texas browns need rather low humidity and "average" temps - just like most of us have in our homes year round. No supplemental heat needed in most homes, and frequently a REALLY humid spot is more a danger than a necessity. Substrate can be anything from sand to rocks. Cleaning? Ha - just grab the dried insect parts up every so often. Put a toilet paper tube in as a hide spot if you feel like it. The tarantula MIGHT use it. Water is necessary, but easy: small bowl with rocks and fill with shallow water within a day or four of it drying out. Throw in a large cricket or two once a week. Don't worry about skipping a week here and there - or a pesticide free large grasshopper. Many will even eat pinks, but that's gross to watch. ;)

EASY! Some will require deeper substrate, more/less humidity, better hides, etc. The Browns are pretty perfect for in-home keeping, though...very simple.
KJ

Back