• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

teach me about the birds and bees please

jeepdad

I gave my daughter my 4 year old Okeetee female, she is taking great care of the corn. I got the snake from Kathy Love in 2002, I never had the snake with any other snakes, so she has never bred. We are wondering if my daughter would get a male corn and put the 2 together would they mate at this time of the year or would they wait until next breeding season? I am totally clueless about cornsnake breeding and egg production. This particular snake has led an adventurous life. She escaped twice and was gone for about 6 months each time. We found her the second time in our next door neighbor's shed. She is about 6 feet long and well rounded as my daughter feeds her well. I realize I can find info about the snake breeding anywhere, but I don't understand the egg production and timeline about mating.

6 feet is quite a snake. I'd love to see pics of her.

As for your question, I'm sure you can find most of your answers using the search function at the top of the forum. By putting them together do you mean permanently or just for breeding?

well we'd like to breed her, my daughter can buy a male corn at the local pet shop. She has the Okeetee in a 55 gallon terrarium. If she bought the male she would probably keep them together in the 55 . My main concern was whether the Okeetee would have already had eggs and absorbed them? She fasted for about a month about 2 months ago or less. We didn't realize or think to check for eggs. Now we got the idea to breed her and I am wondering if she would have eggs again this breeding season, or if we missed the opportunity? As I said, I'm a dummy when it comes to cornsnake sexuality and biology.

If I were you, I'd order Kathy Love's Comprehensive Corn Snake Manual asap. You can get it at her site, cornutopia.com. Kathy does a great job of explaining the entire reproductive process. :)

i have the book, but it doesn't explain if a snake will absorb the ggs and then possibly have eggs again if a male is introduced. This is a dumb question I know, but it's something I'm ignorant on. I understand all the other stuff about breeding and taking care of the mother and eggs.

jeepdad said:
i have the book, but it doesn't explain if a snake will absorb the ggs and then possibly have eggs again if a male is introduced. This is a dumb question I know, but it's something I'm ignorant on. I understand all the other stuff about breeding and taking care of the mother and eggs.
I think that all you can do is put them together for a few sessions (not for permanent co-housing), and see what happens. If she's ovulating, he'll be interested, and she'll probably be accommodating. If she's not, then it'll be no dice. If they haven't been brumated preceding the season, their reproductive cycles may not be synchronized. :shrugs:

I guess that's what we'll try. I'm just not sure how often the females ovulate. Hey Munson, Ernie Mc Cracken is now rich and he's above the law!

I would never put a new snake that hasn't been quarantined in with your healthy snake. Yes, they most likely will breed, but if the male has mites, or any other health problem you're risking your females health as well. You might want to get a male now and quarantine and then breed next year. They should be quarantined for at least 3 months before introducing them into the rest of your collection.

thanks Meg, I think I'm just going to get a juvenile male and raise it and then breed it to the Okeetee in the future. The breeding idea popped up because I'd like a corn again, and my daughter has an opportunity to get a male, so we figured we'd get some babies, and she could give some to the local petshop. There is a reptile show this father's day I plan on hitting it and hopefully some corns will be there.

Back