• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Teddy & Tink the tegus

daddio207

THUG FROG !
I thought I would post some pics of our tegus enjoying their summer home :)
These guys are the most intelligent and affectionate reptiles to keep....

Attachments

• tegus10.png
    tegus10.png
    686.7 KB · Views: 99
  • tegus9.png
    tegus9.png
    780.6 KB · Views: 104
  • tegus7.png
    tegus7.png
    535.9 KB · Views: 103
  • tegus6.png
    tegus6.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 103
I thought I would post some pics of our tegus enjoying their summer home :)
These guys are the most intelligent and affectionate reptiles to keep....

Hey there Daddio! How ya been? :p

Those are some awesome looking lizzies!! Pretty heavy armor they have there also.

Just curious: If that's their "summer home," where do they go in the winter? Surely not INSIDE your house? Ha Ha!! :nyah:

(Now I have to go and look them up! As if I don't have stuff to do on the beginning of a workweek!)

But thanx for sharing!!!

I want a tegu so much!!! I love them. What is their minimum temperature for a night drop, outside?

Just curious: If that's their "summer home," where do they go in the winter? Surely not INSIDE your house? Ha Ha!! :nyah:
Their winter home is inside our house haha...

I want a tegu so much!!! I love them. What is their minimum temperature for a night drop, outside?

My original plan was to leave them out at night. I was going to make a shelter with a heat source in it but after seeing all the wild animals walking through the yard and Bald Eagles flying overhead I decided to bring them in every night. I might add a screen top or wire for safety later.
They would be fine this time of year with the short periods of 50's at night with no heat though.
I know they are an invasive species in portions of central and south Florida. I knew some tegu breeders in FL in the pass that kept them outside year round with an added heat source in the winter only.
Tegusonly looks like a good source to get one for you.
The best and worse of tegu ownership is that they are super smart and affectionate but even an accidental bite can send you to the emergency room for stitches :)

. . . The best and worse of tegu ownership is that they are super smart and affectionate but even an accidental bite can send you to the emergency room for stitches :)

Guess that means that I will only admire them from afar!!! :p

They are pretty awesome looking though!!

Thanx again for sharing!!

My "dogs" got into the trash again !!! :face_palm_02::laugh:

Attachments

• tinkteddy.jpg
    tinkteddy.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 59
I almost impulse-bought a red at the Phoenix/Mesa show last month. Glad I didn't. I've wanted one for years, but the time is not right yet, unfortunately. I'll just have to enjoy yours :)

I almost impulse-bought a red at the Phoenix/Mesa show last month. Glad I didn't. I've wanted one for years, but the time is not right yet, unfortunately. I'll just have to enjoy yours :)

Hopefully we have a lot more years to enjoy Tink and Teddy. They are getting up there in age.

As you alluded to, it's never good to buy on an impulse. Glad you are going to wait till your ready.
Tegus are a lot of work. Their intelligence can lead to hours of joy and also hours of mischief :face_palm_02:
As Pam and I have found out first hand even an accidental bite can be extremely painful and require stitches so you really have to consider the dangerous side of Tegu ownership. Teddy is a very gentle and affectionate reptile (Tink not so much haha) but even he accidentally bit down on my finger and crushed my fingernail to the point it looked like I was going to lose it. My fingernail survived for the most part and it was my fault. I was cleaning between his gum and lip when my finger slipped into his mouth and he instinctively bit down.

Hopefully we have a lot more years to enjoy Tink and Teddy. They are getting up there in age.

As you alluded to, it's never good to buy on an impulse. Glad you are going to wait till your ready.
Tegus are a lot of work. Their intelligence can lead to hours of joy and also hours of mischief :face_palm_02:
As Pam and I have found out first hand even an accidental bite can be extremely painful and require stitches so you really have to consider the dangerous side of Tegu ownership. Teddy is a very gentle and affectionate reptile (Tink not so much haha) but even he accidentally bit down on my finger and crushed my fingernail to the point it looked like I was going to lose it. My fingernail survived for the most part and it was my fault. I was cleaning between his gum and lip when my finger slipped into his mouth and he instinctively bit down.

Thanks for the reply. I recently took a great promotion at work. The downside is, of course, less free time and more commitment to the job. My wife likes tegus, as well, but was less than thrilled about being a partner in raising and taming, so I decided it would be a bad idea. Life is great, and I'm so happy with my many pets and great family; I'll not feel deprived if I only ever look at the tegus of others :)

Thanks for the reply. I recently took a great promotion at work. The downside is, of course, less free time and more commitment to the job. My wife likes tegus, as well, but was less than thrilled about being a partner in raising and taming, so I decided it would be a bad idea. Life is great, and I'm so happy with my many pets and great family; I'll not feel deprived if I only ever look at the tegus of others :)

:cheers:

Congrats !!!

What an uplifting post :dancer: Great family, great promotion and happy pets !
I'm happy for you !!

Back