• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

temp problem, or?

Vegas

I have a small tank, about 50x40x30 cm and on the cool side with lights on I get around 81, on the warm spot (with UTH) with the lights on it gets about 89-90, now when I don't have the lightarmatur on the warm spot reaches about 87-88 and the cold spot is around 80.. I dunno how to get it cooler on the cold side, and possibly a little cooler on the warm side, I tried putting on more substract on the warm side where the UTH is and I think it helped isolating a little bit of the heat. /Jimmy

I'll take a crack at this one, but it's my first time so second opinions would be nice. If you're using UTH and lights it is going to be alot harder to control the temp. Most people on the forum (as far as I have read) would suggest just using the UTH and not using lights or for sure not both. I'm sure it can be done but isn't ideal. For the UTH you can use a dimmer/thermostat etc. to maintain the temp at a good level. If you are just adding more substrate above the UTH your snake can still get down under it to where it is too hot.

90 is a bit excessive for the warm side temps.

As stated, you can get a dimmer or a rheostat to control the heat that your UTH is putting out.

If you wanted to do something different, you could try putting a piece of tile on the bottom of the cage where the uth is, that might help reducing the heat some.

I'd can the light if your temps on the ground are that high to begin with.

The lamps aren't used for heating, they're not heatinglamps. It's a standard lightarmatur, lighthood used for vivs. Without it I don't have any light for the viv and it get's really dark. The temps however is better without the additional light and just UTH. Yes that is true that he can burrow, though he has never done it so far. He just uses his hides, every single time I have checked on him he's been inside a hide. I know I can't be 100% sure that he don't burrow but I don't see any signs of it.
I unscrewed one of the bulbs in the hood also, now it's just 1 single 15W but it brings the temp up a lil' bit anyway.

i say get rid of the UTH and just get stronger heating light bulbs. in my tank its about 85 on the warm and 78 on the cool. i just put one bulb on one side of the viv.

Back