• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temp question

oldsnow

Hrmmmm........
I know that a temp of 82-85 is ideal for corns and that they prefer belly heat over ambient temp, to aid in digestive.

My question is... if my room temp is 70 and my UTH is set to 84-86 typ. wouldn't the surface temp of the substrate be closer to 78 or so? I know I can get an IR temp gun, and would before making any mods, but should I shoot to maintain 82-85 on the top of the aspen or should I just leave it as is? I keep around 3 inches of aspen on the bottom of the tank because I see that as more comfortable. I know, they sleep on rocks so it doesn't really matter.

I may just be over-thinking it, and I know mother nature isn't going to be that exact, but my little one ate fine at the pet store before I got him/her and is now refusing to look at food more than once (only been a week and turned down 2nd feeding last night). Just wondering if the temp might be the issue.

So, in a nutshell... would it be better to raise the surface temp to around 85 or stay as is?

You are probably right it is cooler on the surface of the aspen but the snake has the ability to burrow into the aspen if he chooses. The snake may not want to be 85 degrees, he may like 78 or 70. It's all good.

You want the bottom of the viv, directly on top of the UTH to be 85*. He will burrow if he feels the need for more heat. As long as your temps are accurate, you should be fine. What kind of thermometer are you using? Don't attempt to feed too often. If he refused yesterday, I would wait until the next scheduled feeding to try again (around the 31st).

You want the bottom of the viv, directly on top of the UTH to be 85*. He will burrow if he feels the need for more heat. As long as your temps are accurate, you should be fine. What kind of thermometer are you using? Don't attempt to feed too often. If he refused yesterday, I would wait until the next scheduled feeding to try again (around the 31st).

On the 29 gal I'm using a zoomed digital with the probe centered over the UTH on the glass and keep a fairly constant reading of 84.5. And I figure spot is still getting used to the move since I have seen no movement, only poop 2 days ago. And I was intending to wait about 4 days which would be the 31st and make some slits in the pinky to see if maybe that tempts a little. I am feeding in the viv on a paper towel just to reduce the stress, as well as cutting feedings back to 1 pinky instead of 2 until I get a few weeks of decents feeds

It's possible that he may be getting ready to shed, I sometimes have a hard time telling when my Snow stripe is getting ready to shed and he will refuse feeding occasionally when blue. I wait till the next scheduled feeding day to offer another feed and usually will have found a freshly shed skin by then :)

I wondered the same and checked his eyes earlier and there isn't a definite outline to the pupil so I'm thinking that's a possibility as well.... Guess I will find out for sure in a day or so if he blues noticably

Back