• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

temp. readout

hauler34

I just set of a viv in anticipation for my new corn which I should be getting on Friday (thanks Kathy Love!). Ok, so I placed thermometer on either side of the cage about 2 inches above substrate (I'm such an idiot and I can't re-adhere them now, but it seemed low enough at the time I put 'em on because they're about 3/4 of the way down the tank) and have a heat pad one side. One the cold side it's reading room temp at about 75 deg. and on the hot side it's only reading 80 deg. Do you guys suppose the reading on the hot side is just low because it's not right at the level of the substrate? I'm just worried that it'll be hot enough for the liking of my, soon to be, new bud. Any input would be great! Thanks!

Stick on thermometers don't work. Go get a temperature gun (expensive solution) or go get an indoor/outdoor thermometer (easy solution) with probes and use one on each side. The substrate is probably much hotter than 80 on the warm side. The thermometers you have now measure ambient temperature which differs from the surface temperature that corns are at.

~Katie

Kinda a disappointing response since I'll have to spend more money, but ultimatley worth it since it'll certainly give me a better reading. Do you suppose a pet shop would have something like the temperature gun that you speak of or is it something that could be found out on the internet somewhere?

Yeh my temp read 80° with a stick on. Just after I got my snake I bought a indoor/outdoor digital thermometer and the substraight was about 110° :eek1:
My hygrometer cost me £25 and obviously has a built in humidity readout.

You probably also need a thermostat to regulate your heat mat temperature, I spent the first week switching the heat mat on and off before I got one.

jnky said:
Yeh my temp read 80° with a stick on. Just after I got my snake I bought a indoor/outdoor digital thermometer and the substraight was about 110° :eek1:
My hygrometer cost me £25 and obviously has a built in humidity readout.

You probably also need a thermostat to regulate your heat mat temperature, I spent the first week switching the heat mat on and off before I got one.

I agree, I have to go buy a thermostate tomorrow, when i had the turn in the tank max it ever got was 89, but after I put the aspen in, I burried the probe, and even with lots of layers of newspaper first, I was it today at 109!! I unplugged it and only just turned it on again tonight cause it was back down to 72. I hope Nagini is doing ok, havent seen her out and about yet tonight.

Hauler34, I too am having to spend more money then I anticipated at first but it is worth it when you have everything you need and a little friend that is happy nad content! :)

Hauler: I'm not sure where you're from, so I don't know exactly what to suggest, but I'm sure you can find the temp gun online. If you have WalMart/etc nearby, you can pick up the thermometers with probes there. They're a bit cheaper if you're planning on sticking with one snake. If you're going to expand the collection, the temp gun might be a good investment. WalMart might be a good place to check for the temp gun, too - I don't know what department to look in, though.

fyre is right - the temp guns are expensive and the indoor/outdoor thermometers work well - especially if you have one snake. My temp gun is from ProExotics though and they're online if you're interested. My dad has his temperatures down to a science using the indoor/outdoor thermometers and he has 7 snakes of his own plus 4 of mine down there.

~Katie

Just a tip on relocating stick on thermo's, you can relocate them by peeling them off the viv and removing all the sticky stuff from both the viv and the thermo, then use double-sided tape to readhere it. Just make sure that you cut the slots out of the tape on the back of the thermo. (you will see what I mean when you remove it)

Personally I do have the stick on thermos in my vivs as a guide only, but I know that they read (on average) 15 to 20 deg. lower than the surface temp. I also recomend a temp gun, or atleast the walmart in-outdoor thermo (costs $10). It's better to be sure than to fry your bud.

Back