• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temperature and Premature shedding??

Pooleh

Happy new snake owner!
Hey all. I just brought my first corn home today (see my intro in the new members section). I cold tell at the reptile store that the snake was getting ready for a shed. Being inexperienced I did not know how soon it would be but just a few hours after getting the snake home she (i think she) has already shed. Could the temperature differences in the move move from the store to home cause a premature shed, could it have been the stress of the move, or could she have just been ready?

Just for future reference since I am posting this, can having high or low temps cause a snake to shed premature? Thanks for any insight in advance!

They just shed when they're ready, so I'd put it down to coincidence.

Temps aren't a direct factor in whether they shed or not. Shedding happens when they "outgrow" the old skin, so it's related to how fast they're growing. As growth is linked to eating and proper digestion needs the proper temperatures, I guess there's an indirect link.

Temps that are too high can cause problems with the shedding process. You're more likely to get a drier atmosphere inside the tank with temps that are too high. This can cause the skin that's due to shed, to dry out too soon. This makes it stick to the snake so that it can't shed.

Basically, a warm end of no more than about 85-88 degrees should mean that you minimise the risk of shedding problems. When in doubt, you can put a humid hide in with them when they're about to shed and that should sort out any potential humidity issue.

Why do you think she has shed?
Did she turn blue and then clear up, but you can't find the shed?
If so that is normal....they clear up first and then the shed comes off.......you will find the shed when she does in fact do it.
:)

Back