• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temperature going up

ssssnake_lover

Hi all

I am away from home at the moment and my mum is looking after my snake and she has just called me to tell me my temp is up to 86.9.

I have a thermostat on my setup and my inside temp in the hot end is usually between 80 and 85 and has been stable for weeks now but for some reason it has gone up over the last day or so.I have a button on my thermometer which tells me the hottest it has ever got and it says 87.6 now what i am wondering is is this ok or is it too hot.My temp which monitors just outside the cold end is only 76 so that seems ok it just seems to be the warm end under the substrate which has gone up.

My mum has said he did not come out last night but i am not too worried as she goes abed early and sometimes he comes out late.

Also i have had him since the 31st of august and he has still not shed so i am guessing he is due to shed soon will it be ok that his home is abit warmer at the moment :shrugs:

hey,

87 is pretty warm, but not crazy hot. we, as humans, have hot and cold days too. i'd say it's ok that the temp spiked like that, not a big deal. but don't keep it too hot for too long. ask your mom/mum to monitor it and make sure it stays about 75-85. don't keep it too hot for too long. do a search and you will find A LOT of info on temps in this forum!
you've had it since late aug and it hasn't shed? how old is your snake? has it had it's eyes get "cloudy" then clear again? usually a snake will get opaique (cloudy) then just before it is going to shed will seem to clear up again. it's normal. it is just the "skin" underneith getting loose if you will. after that happens your snake will find something to catch it's skin on and pull off the older "coat". it's also a really good idea to have a water dish in your viv that's big enough for the snake to "soak" or bathe so it can loosen up the layer it's about to shed. it really helps. some people mist their viv's, some don't. but everyone should have a water dish that's big enough to soak in. but not so big that your snake can't get out, even when the water is really low. just after they shed is usually my fav time to hold my snakes!!! they're so shiny and new looking. they're usually really alert too. when they cloud over they can't see as well. some snakes also won't eat while in that shedding stage. some will. if you're going to take pictures, that's also my fav time. :)

cheers...

I got my snake in late august, around the 29th i think

He wouldn't eat the first 2 weeks and has gulped down 3 pinkies since and i have noticed he's grown. I took him out yesterday and his eyes were cloudy so he's ready to shed within a few days now :) First shed for me too!!!

I put a small bowl with a damp paper towel in the warmer hide to get the humidity up to help him out. I hope all goes well and for your snake too!

btw, my temps also vary from 80 to 87 on the warm side depending on the temp inside the house. But I figured wild snakes don't have a thermostat to regulate their temperature and they do fine. when it gets warm, he usually just moves on to the cooler side

The thermostat probe may have been moved. Or the heat mat may have been moved.

Somtimes if one of those two things gets bumped, it bumps the thermostat probe to a cooler spot on the heat pad, tricking the thermostat into jacking the temps up a bit.

Your snake will probably shed once per month while it's growing. It might take longer this time because it got a bit of a slow start eating - and growing.

Back