• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temperature under the substrate

dr_j

I've searched for this, and haven't found it directly addressed, but .... getting a temperature of 80-85 on the warm side and 72-78 on the cool side is fine for me on top of the substrate, but ... when I directly measure the temperature of the ceramic tile that is over my newly installed heat tape, I'm measuring temps in the 90's (maybe as high as 97). I've measured directly in my little guys hides (3 seperate sections of one big hide), and the temps are okay (82-ish).

What's an acceptable temperature of the tile itself (or for those of us with glass, too)? Note that I'm using an inch or so of substrate.

j

I tape my temperature probe to the glass directly above the uth and keep it heated between 85-87. 90's is way to high.

Your big problem would be if your snake burrows under the substrate. You might want to put something directly over the glass like carpet or paper towel to keep the snake from laying directly on the heater. Either that or use a cheap rheostat.

To make this very simple, the temperature should be monitored and thus controlled at the hottest point that the snake MAY come in contact with. To assume that the snake will not burrow is flirting with danger.

IMO, I would control the temp. at the glass surface to 82-84F and thin the substrate to approx. half an inch depth. This way there is no possible way the snake can get burned. (unless the thermostate poop's the bed)

Good luck.

answers ....

Yep, have a rheostat already tied into it; running the flexwatt at about 1/4 power right now (well, 1/4 turn from the off position). I turned things down this morning and will check the temps as soon as I get home.

All my little guys love to burrow; mostly they stay on the surface, and have hides at both ends (warm & cool), but with them burrowing, I was wondering about the difference between surface temperature and the temp of the tile itself.

Why only 1/2" of substrate?

j

Back