• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temperature

ssssnake_lover

Just got my thermostat and digital thermometer today and i gonna change my snake's home tomorrow and put the temp reader inside and plug his heatmat into his thermostat and get it all sorted as the pet shop only sold me a heat mat idiot :mad:

Anyway i have not got the heatmat on as i thought without the thermostat he might get burned so before i sort it all out the tomorrow i thought i would check what the temp just outside his home is and it's 84.3 is this too hot and do you think i need to open windows in my bedroom so my room is cooler and my heat mat just warms up that 1 third section :shrugs:

84* is fine until you get everything set up, but shut off the heat mat. If the room's temps are 84*, your snake doesn't need supplemental heat. Good luck with the setup. :)

Thanks mate:)

Can't believe my room is that hot without a heatmat.

So basically i can just keep it off at the moment until it get's cold.

Yeah i going to listen to him and keep my heatmat off:D

But i have been reading the faq's and it says you need a cool side of 75-80 and if outside my Snake's home is 84.5 i ain't gonna have a cool side so do i need to open a window or get a fan or something :shrugs:

ssssnake_lover said:
Yeah i going to listen to him and keep my heatmat off:D

But i have been reading the faq's and it says you need a cool side of 75-80 and if outside my Snake's home is 84.5 i ain't gonna have a cool side so do i need to open a window or get a fan or something :shrugs:

There are plenty of people who live in warm climates who don't use any supplemental heating for corns (hence, no gradient/cool side). Some of these people are large-scale breeders. But I think that your situation-- September in the UK-- will require you to use supplemental heat soon. If I were you, I'd set up that thermostat and thermometer arrangement asap. Then I'd open up some windows (fresh air can't hurt), and monitor the temps on the warm and cool ends. Be more mindful of the warm end.

I keep my house between 78-80 degrees F and use no added heat during the summer. At winter my house gets to 68-65 degree F with the heater on, so I use additional heat so the hot side is about 85 and the cool side stays about 70-75.

I have had no problems with my snakes( Corns, kings, and milks).

I live in an area where corns are native, and I can tell you from personal experience--there are no cool spots here! Especially this summer.

All kidding aside, I second Fatman when he says to listen to Dean. He told you what you need to know.

Back