• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

temperatures

braingarble

Always has questions
I posted a question about thermostat probe locations last week:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118222

Now that my thermostat probe is attached to the glass(inside tank on UTH), rather than sitting in the warm hide on the substrate, my temperatures are low on the substrate.....I have apro

-> Before I moved the probe, I set my thermostat (vivarium electronics ve-300) to 81F and the temperatures were in fact ~81F in the warm hide on the substrate.

-> After moving to glass, of course the temperatures are cooler on substrate, as there is less forward momentum from the UTH when it gets to temperature.

I have since bumped the thermostat up to 84F and now the substrate is ~80F.

Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks again everyone.....I apologize for another stupid question.

-braingarble

What is the temp, under the substrate, right on the glass, in the middle of the UTH? That is what matters, not the temp on top of the substrate.

@Nanci - on the glass probe is set for 84F....its approximately that temperature. Its a pulse proportional thermostat, so its a pretty consistent temperature. She has been doing excellent up to this point at 80F - 81F on the substrate.

Thanks

-braingarble

If the glass is 84F on top of the UTH you are fine. I like the bottom of my tubs to be 85F but one degree is not going to hurt any thing. The problem measuring the temp of the substrate is that the thicker the substrate the cooler the top of the substrate is. As long as the glass is 84F the corn snake will borrow or remove substrate to get to the temp it wants. Do not forget to have a hide on the warm side.

@Fatman608 - Thank you! I just cleaned out her tank, and decided that it was time to secure that probe. I will ensure that UTH temps on the glass are measuring in fact what is indicated on the thermostat.

thanks again,

-braingarble

It's always good to double-check. If the stat and the thermometer show slightly different temps, then I always go with what the thermometer says (as long as it's a good digital or infra-red one).

Stats can behave slightly differently with each make/model of heater, so I tend to treat the stat settings as indicative, and use the thermometer to fine-tune.

Back