• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

temps for egg incubation

goldelx6

so i have my first clutch finally. I am trying to do the best for the eggs and want a successful hatch rate like anyone else. I have a temp monitor that shows me the highest and lowest readings. I have a humidity gauge too. now my only concern is why i cant get this temp to stabilize. it varies between 80-87. I've read a few places that says its actually good for a bit of variation as long as within certain degrees. Comments? I need reassurance here. Thanks in advance.:headbang:

Personally, I would keep temps in the low 80's, no higher than 85. Some people have had problems with heat spikes, or when temps get above mid 80's. (Cone/bubble heads, deformities, hatching before completely developed, etc).

I don't use an incubator so my temps will fluctuate between 75 and 83. Like Heather said I would shoot for about 80 if not a couple degrees lower. Your incubation might be a little longer but that is better than having a heat spike.

Thanks for responses. Last three days have had lower temps ranging from 78-84. Still not completely comfortable with the spikes from earlier on with my home made incubator. So went today to the tractor supply. They had 1 incubator left and the box was damaged so I asked to take it out of the box to check it out. There was a small dent in the foam, but no damage to compromise the foam, so they discounted it for me! YAY! Gonna set that up for a few days to get stable then move my little clutch over. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1572

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

One thing you can do to help keep a more stable temp in the egg bins, is to use bigger egg containers, with more airspace. I have talked with breeders who have found that the more airspace helps keep the temps stable.
I would at least use taller containers.

this is my 1st cluch and wasnt aware she was pregnant until a week before she laid them ... the wierd thing is they are fertile but she is housed with only females... i didnt now at the time a corn was capeable of a sexuallity

this is my 1st cluch and wasnt aware she was pregnant until a week before she laid them ... the wierd thing is they are fertile but she is housed with only females... i didnt now at the time a corn was capeable of a sexuallity

While there have been a few cases of parthenogenesis in snakes, to the best of my knowledge this has never occurred in cornsnakes. It is almost 100% certain that either one or more of your "females" is actually male, or your egg-layer was housed with a male before you got her. A third possibility is that your female has laid slugs (infertile eggs).

are you sure there are only females? How old is she, how much did she weigh before laying and how long do you have her?
It is possible she retained sperm from last year.

she was with a small bloodred male last year for about to weeks. ive had her for almost 4 years... all of my snakes were probed by a herpa when the were nates which is when i got all of my baby girls

Probing and popping does not confirm that you have all females. One of the snakes you're housing her with is likely a male if the eggs are fertile.

Back