• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Terrarium Moss

nitetygress

Terrarium Moss I heard was good for adding moisture to the tank. I had a bunch of questions since I was not aware that it was important to mist the tank or have moss or anything like that, I just have her water bowl which some people say is generally enough? I want Kiara to be as happy as possible...

In regards to Terrarium Moss:
Where can I buy this online/what does it look like?
How much do you put in the cage?
How much moisture do you spray it with (dripping or a bit moist?)?
Do you leave it in there all the time or just when your snake is about to/is shedding?

In regards to moisture in the cage:
What type of device is cheapest and good at reading the moisture in the air? Where do you place it in the cage?
Can you remind me what the ideal moisture is for a corn snake and is it different when they are shedding compared to normally?
When you spray the terrarium do you just spray the whole inside with a light mist or direct it somewhere?

THANK YOU! Sometimes I think I worry about new pets like a mother with her first new born who happens to be an OCD hypochondriac :crazy02:

You can buy terrarium moss at most pet stores or if you want to buy it online heres a link to where you can find it.
http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cPath=38_106
there are other online store where you can buy them at. I only put it in my corn enclosure when its about to shed, and it is inside a humid hide. I don't spray mi enclosure unless the humidity drops below moderate which is around 35-70 in my humidity gauge. and i spray early on the morning usually in the cold side.

For moisture i use a humidity gauge, there is no specific brand, any one will work fine specially one that has markings for dry, moderate or tropical. Mine is located at the center of tank on one of the side walls, for the moisture, they really don't need much humidity as long as it is in the moderate level it will be fine. And when its time to shed just put a humid hide on the warm side of the the enclosure.

I just have a cheap hydrometer from petsmart (under $10) stuck on the back wall of my viv (inside, of course). I think (personal opinion) that the only reason/time you need a humid hide/moss is when you're having serious problems keeping your humidity high enough (I like to have roughly 50-70% around shed time). Where I live, the humidity rarely drops below 40%, so I usually just lightly mist all around the viv (about once or twice a day) during shed. Think of it as simulating a light spring rain. Also, keep in mind that many corns will soak in the waterbowl if the humidity is too low.

If you think you need a humid hide/moss, I would only put it in from when you see your corn go "blue" to when she sheds. If you think that the humidity in your area is low enough (or varies enough) to warrant a humid hide, or you just want it to make sure you have good sheds, just wet the moss then squeeze it out so it's only moist. Place that moss in a tuperware container (with a hole cut in it and the lid on) and put that in the viv. Make sure you check the moss, as it can grow mold.

Feel free to ask lots of questions; It shows you care. Good luck!

Adding too much moisture to a tank is not good! And you humidity levels should be around 40-50%.
If you have high moisture it could cause scale rot or respiratory infection.
I suggest start with the basic and then explore.

Back