• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

that old feeding thing again

progressive74

as some have you may of read on my previous post, my corn has not eaten for a while (14 days) and he is now in the blue eyed phase of shedding. i am worried becasue he is only a month and a half old, how long should i leave it after he has shed before i try and feed him?

I have heard their appetites are quite ravenous after they shed. They might eat during the blue eyed phase too.:)

i would expect him to be starving becasue it will be nearly 20 days untill he eats again. hopefully he will have enough energy to swallow the food

He won't be starving after just 20 days. They can go longer than that without eating. He should have a good appetite, though:)

For example, I have a cal king htta has not been eating well. She ate on June 28th (2 large adult mice). She refused everything else except for 1 fuzzy between then and last Sunday. I finally broke down and tried a live mouse. She ate it. In all of that time, she only lost 10 grams. Just so you know, this is a 2 year old snake. A young snake wouldn't be able to go quite that long without eating, though.

I had a young corn that did not eat from the first week in Sept unit the week before Christmas. I was really worried. She started eating again and is fine. I wouldn't worry about a couple of weeks.

By the way, feel free to offer your corn a pinky when it's in its shed cycle. Some will eat when in shed and some won't; it's a matter of individuality for each snake. Nevertheless, you won't harm your snake in any way by offering the pinky while it's in shed.

Don't worry too much; it'll all be fine! :D

I am not trying to be contrary, but I have found in my experience that some hatchlings will eat readily while in shed, only to regurge before shed. Out of all the ones that are willing to eat while in shed, most can handle it, but I find it commen for some others to regurge. I just had this recently happen when I feed one hatching that I did not notice was starting the beginning stages of it's shed and it for no aparant reason regurged a couple days later, when I checked out the snake, it was completely blue. I've had the same thing happen with adults. I am curious Darin, with all the snakes you have kept, have you ever experienced this or is it just me? Again, I know tone can't been seen in type and I ask in all due respect and curiosity. If I am worried about a non-eating hatchling, I usually will wait until after the shed to ensure there is no risk of regurge.
And to progressive, if your snake is going through it's second shed at 1 1/2 months old, I don't think you will need worry about it starving. ;) I have non feeders that are the same age that are still doing OK and they have never had a meal in thier life. Although they will probably get some mouse tails tonight. :rolleyes:

Carol,

I know you addressed this to Darin, but I thought I'd weigh in. I have seen several eat then turn around and shed while still in the deli cups! I can't remember a single regurge in any of these instances.

Carol,

That's really interesting. I can't say that I have ever experienced that problem with regurges while a hatchling is in shed. Then again, I don't know how many times I have gotten an actual hatchling to eat while in shed. I mean, I know it happens, because I offer the food to them all the time. However, I also have noticed that hatchlings are much more likely to refuse the meal while in blue than are the larger ones. Probably has something to do with the greater liklihood of a hatchling taking a bite out of something to big for it to handle in the wild.

However, when I said "you won't harm your snake in any way by offering the pinky while it's in shed," I should have qualified that by saying something along the lines of, "assuming you haven't ever had problems with regurges or the like." It just seemed to me that, since the snake had already been twenty days without food, holding back simply for shedding purposes might not have been necessary.

I'll have to pay closer attention to my hatchlings as they eat in shed. I've not had any of this year's keepers regurge yet, and I know some of them have eaten while in blue, but I guess I need to start writing that stuff down.

Thanks Carol! Like I needed another statistic to keep on my babies!!! :eek:

:D :D :D

I have had a couple of hatchlings eat than shed immediately after,and because of the swelling they didn't shed the tail end of there skin.

Sorry Darin! :D Yes most of mine won't eat either, and some eat with no problem at all, but I find a small but noticable percentage do regurge if fed in shed. I think I have only had it happen once this year with hatchlings, but a few of my yearlings have done it before, and also an adult do it a couple of years ago. I think it was his only regurge in his life, I had missed his blue stage and fed him and found a puke and a shed in his cage the next day. Maybe it is because I give large meals? I tend to give them the largest item they can handle and maybe that is why some run into trouble when they are in shed. I'll have to keep better track myself. It doesn't happen that often, but enough to make me wonder and ask input from other keepers. I do notice however, the ones that have shown to keep thier meals in shed tend to never develop a problem and I never have to worry about them. But the ones that have regurged in shed are usually repeat offenders and after the first time, I just try my best not to feed them in shed but sometimes I'll miss it. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Back