• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thawing Mice

nicali84

Is the following ok:

Defrost at room temperature throughout the day. Then boil some water, allow it to cool and put the mice in there for a few minutes to warm up?

If not please tell me the best way?

Thanks
Nic

I wouldn't worry about boiling water. Just run some warm tap and put the bag of mice in that for a few. The preferred method may vary by how many mice you're dealing with, though.

I wrap it in some paper towels and pop the fuzzy in my bra. Once it's thawed, I use a hair dryer. It's easy.

I'd be a little leery of boiled water. Cooked meat is not good meat.

I wrap it in some paper towels and pop the fuzzy in my bra. Once it's thawed, I use a hair dryer. It's easy.

Pictures help us get a better understanding of that Nozomi...heheh :grin01:

But I do the hot tap water trick too. Leaving out "all day" then boil seem like you might cook them. That's not what your looking for.

I just put them into a jam jar with hot tap water then repeat it once it has got cold just before I am going to feed them so they are a bit warm rather than col, never really thought about putting them in my bra might get a few looks with a lumpy bra haha.

I'm just curious, do you really do that?! :)

I usually don't even thaw it during the day. I just put it in a baggy and first run warm water over it and then put it in a cup with warm water. switch out the water a couple of times, run it under warm water again and it's ready for my snakes.

Make sure you check behind the head to make sure it's thawed all the way as a partially thawed mouse can make your snake sick. (I don't know why you check behind the head but that's what I read somewhere (maybe my BP book) and I just go by that...)

-=laughs=- Yeah, I really do that! They'd be horrifically squashed in my pocket and the body heat thaws them faster. Since I'm only on fuzzies (soon to move to hoppers), they really don't make things too lumpy. I got the idea when someone said they popped the mice into their pocket and wait so... The bra! A little cold at first but then, naaaah.

I think Shredder would be jealous if I took pictures, though.

I put them in plastic wrap and thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, before feeding, I set them out for a couple of hours so they become room temperature. I've never had a refusal with this method.

:spinner:

I just put grab the mouse out of the freezer, let it be in room temp for atleast 10 min or so, I warm up some water, (not boiling) and I put said mouse in a zip block bag and put the littler sucker in some warm/hot water for about 5 minutes. By the time its done you can see all the blood inside the pinky, its also pretty warm to my touch. ( I have pretty sensative fingers) I put the sucker in the feeding cage, and not less than 1 second later she snags it without a second thought.

I find this method the easiest and quickest.

I take it out of the freezer and put it in a cup of reallyhot tap water and let it sit in there for 5 minutes.

With pinkies, it seems to be thawed in that 5 minutes, but my tap water is hot enough to burn a person when it's at its hottest, so maybe that's why 5 minutes is good enough for me.

Then I feed it to the snake like that.

:grin01:The bra method - that's a new one for me. :grin01:

My husband tolerates the thawing mice sitting in a bowl of water on the counter, but I have to say if he ever found out I was carrying around a dead mouse in my bra he would never go near my bra's contents again. Whatever works for you though.

I wrap it in some paper towels and pop the fuzzy in my bra....

Just for giggles, I asked my girlfriend if she'd stuff a dead mouse into her bra to thaw it out.

"But honey, the mice just TASTE better when thawed out that way!"

She just have me "the look". You guys know what I'm talking about. The look that appears to be a "no" but really means "Ask me later when I'm half asleep/drunk".

I fed him today for the first time. I thought it was going to be a much more difficult task than it was. He gobbled up his food in no time at all.

Back