• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The "Black" Tent Project

Pruddock

Gig 'Em Ags!! Whoop!!
Well I just started a new photography project based on the successes of a former picture I took at the Houston Zoo.

IMG_0727rt.jpg

The photo got some recognition in a few national photo contests and I decided that because of it and how much I liked the photo and its elements, that I was going to start a whole project based on it. And, what a better place to do a vipers in the dark photo project than in Texas! Home of the San Antonio Zoo, the Houston Zoo, the Ft. Worth Zoo, and the Dallas Zoo. Combined, the largest collection of South American vipers in North America! In order to recreate the lighting conditions I happened to stumble across I decided to make a play on the photo background we all know and love - the white box. Instead of doing white, I decided to create a "black box" with a stand of limbs in the middle to create some character and give the snakes a place to rest (cobras excluded but they're elapids so they don't count ;)). The lighting is going to be provided via the two studio lights I normally shoot people with, shot through snoots, grids, umbrellas, and lightboxes to find the correct lighting texture for each snake and each shoot.

Anyways, I sent off emails to each zoo last week and have already heard back from a few (glad I volunteered at some zoos back in the day ;)) so I decided to build the tent tonight. It's now built, and I'm planning on doing some trial shoots with my collection tomorrow when I have some time. I can't wait and I'm hoping this project pays off.

Has anybody else tried shooting with a "black" box on the forum or just our normal white tents?

I'm thinking you just blew your anonymity in the photo contest!

I've thought of doing a black box, but I haven't done it yet. Certainly does nice things for green snakes, though!

I'm interested to hear more about how you take picture of herps at zoos using black boxes with their vipers. Are they going to let you in to do photoshoots?

Like you couldn't recognize the quality of that photo a mile away anyway!! After you see a bunch of someone's photos, they become pretty recognizable. Especially, their preferred method becomes almost like a trademark.

I hope you get to do some, Payton!! That would be _so_ cool.

Ha, I didn't even think about the photo contest lol. W/e... Anyways, yeah I know that Houston is going to let me in because I used to work in their reptile house when I volunteered. I kind of know what animals we can work with and which ones to stay away from, i.e. the black forest cobra (that bas**** is MEAN!). I'm hoping I get a positive response back from San Antonio as well since they have the largest collection of South American Vipers in the US. I've also made it clear that I'm going to give the zoos complete access to the photos so they can use them for marketing purposes if they would like at no charge. I'm in it for the project and the ability to work with different animals more than anything else so if it furthers their cause and mine I'm hoping its a win win for both of us :)

I have not tried the black tent before, but it sounds like it good be a really great idea. Looking forward to seeing what you are able to come up with!

Ha, I didn't even think about the photo contest lol. W/e... Anyways, yeah I know that Houston is going to let me in because I used to work in their reptile house when I volunteered. I kind of know what animals we can work with and which ones to stay away from, i.e. the black forest cobra (that bas**** is MEAN!). I'm hoping I get a positive response back from San Antonio as well since they have the largest collection of South American Vipers in the US. I've also made it clear that I'm going to give the zoos complete access to the photos so they can use them for marketing purposes if they would like at no charge. I'm in it for the project and the ability to work with different animals more than anything else so if it furthers their cause and mine I'm hoping its a win win for both of us :)

Well that is really, really cool! I can't wait to see the results!

I agree with you, Nanci. I thought that part of the contest was a little silly for just that reason.

Neat pic and idea! Now the real question du jour: What's a snoot? :)

Good question. A snoot is a device that helps to directionalize the light and intensify it in a certain area. The best example is a hair light in portraiture. Normally this is done with a snoot or a 20 degree grid to place the light in only a certain area. If you want a great site for DIY light modifiers I'd check out Dave's blog - www.strobist.com - for some awesome stuff! : )

Thanks! I've actually had that site bookmarked for awhile. I guess it would be a good idea to actually read it :).

I also never miss an opportunity to recommend Chase Jarvis's blog (www.chasejarvis.com) and podcast as well. AMAZING!!! Those two are great and another great photog blog is Joey Lawrence's (joeyl.com) blog. But, I could get further and further off topic with this post so I'm going to stop riiigghhhtttt... now! :)

I really like the technique, and it doesn't technically go against the contest rules considering it's a photo taken at a different angle, however entrants need to definitely be more careful than this. Our main concern with that rule is to not have the contest turn into a popularity contest, but rather a contest based upon actual skill. To be fair, there were a couple of photos in the contest that I already knew who the snake belonged before I even saw who sent it to me, based upon following the Photo Gallery section of the forum, so we can't really be too picky, but on the same note: Please leave threads like this one (describing your techniques) until after the contest has run its course.

Speaking of that, we'll have the Winners thread posted soon. Sorry for the delay! I failed to write down who submitted everything so I have to go through my emails over and over again in order to match everyone up, and gmail wants to lock up on me after doing this a couple times. I'll get through it though!

Well, by the time he'd posted this he'd already blown out the competition in the second round, after already having blown out the competition in the first round, so I don't think there is any risk that he won due to anything but the skill behind his photo.

Back