• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Original Burn

northwestcorns

I posted before and after pics of my lavendar zig zag that was burned in July or August 2009. Here is the pic of the actual burn. Some of you may remember. I worked with her in a sterile container and kept her skin moist and antibiotics sprayed on it for months. She actually looks great now. The burn was my fault-trying to keep a group of snakes warm in the Pacific Northwest before I had my heating system set up in their building, it was a hard lesson and one that I hope others can learn and did learn from. She never stopped eating and she never gave up, so I didnt' give up on her. I almost did. I worried that she was in so much pain and was going to take her in to be put down, but then she would ravenously down another pinkie and drink water like a mad woman, so I figured I owed her a shot. She's still a pill, but she's gotten big and strong and it sucks that I have to part with her. I'm hoping whoever takes this group of snakes, realizes what a special lady my little Jewel is.
lavendar zig zag burn August 2009.jpg

That's a bit graphic. I'm glad she's doing well and hope that somebody new to the hobby can see this as a danger of unregulated heat.

That is hard to stomach. Glad she pulled though. some animals have that drive to survive no matter what. I have one of those surviver snakes as well.

Ok.... looks quite good now then! The burn looks so even and 'sharp edged', had it been treated already?

In answer to "how?"

Two years ago I moved from VA to WA in June. When I got to WA, I didn't have anywhere to keep my snakes while I found a house and I when I finally found a place, there was no ambient heat. Even in June, the temps in WA are often 45 degrees in the mornings and in the shade, very rarely get over 60.

What you are looking at is the result of my attempt to use a 70 inch UVA/UVB bulb over the top of a bunch of the snakes to raise the temps in their tanks. They were like that for a few weeks when I noticed that my Lavendar's skin along her dorsal surface had "tanned" for lack of a better word. I brought her inside and took a picture of it to post here on the forum. Right after I got the pictures taken, I reached in to handle her and when I did, she jerked and the entire strip of skin along her back came off. I was horrified. She was twitching and jerking and the it looked awful. I took her and put her in a sterilite container with damp, white sterile rags and used Neosporin spray ointment to spray along her wound. The vet and I finally figured out what had happened and that it was due to the light and I got it off of my other snakes, but not before my poor blizzard had developed an angry red "pattern" and become dehydrated herself. I brought her in and put her in a sterilite container and after two sheds, she was fine. I waivered back and forth with putting the lavendar down, but she would show signs of improvement and I'd give her another day. I put her on a two pinkies every 3 days diet, and she ate them ravenously. The skin granulated and she shed her skin every 2 weeks or so until it was almost the way it is now. I documented pretty much the entire experience as it unfolded at the time.

None of my snakes have lights anymore. I keep the room they are in at 67 and I keep the humidity in there at around 30 percent or so. They have their undertank heaters and they have been happy, healthy snakes without any issues shedding or feeding since.

This was a hard lesson to learn. I've had snakes a long time, but always in FL or VA or MS and ambient temps have never been a problem.

I learned a lot from this though. #1-you HAVE to use the appropriate heating methods. #2-Lights are tools and the types of lights you use, if any, should be very species specific. #3-First aid for snake burns. I'm a nurse and former vet tech so I had some experience with burns in people and mammals, but this was horrific. I think I used my head and came up with a good treatment regimen. The vet was pretty impressed, he was inclined to put her down as well. Now we both know.

Back