• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Story of Eggbert

Karoni

Cornaholic
I have three rescued snakes, so I didn't know what sex they were when I got them. (They were juveniles.) I had just finished reading my corn snake books by Kathy Love and Don Sodenberg. Kathy's book described how you can sometimes tell the sex of the snake by looking at the length and thickness of the tail. Using this method, I determined that all my snakes were females. Maybe this method only works on adult snakes, or maybe I am just really terrible at this, but obviously I don't know how to tell the sexes apart.

I had Mango probed right away, since I had to take him to the vet for a skin condition he had. It turned out that he was a male. I decided Mango was a sufficiently unisex name, so I didn't change it.

Next, I had Firefly probed. I really thought Firefly was a girl. Nope! Firefly is a boy, too. I decided that his name was sufficiently unisex and didn't change it.

Today, I had Sienna probed. I was SURE Sienna was a girl. My family jokes that I'm surrounded by men because I live with two of them (my husband and stepson) and two male snakes. Sienna was supposed to be my remaining bastion of femininity. :) We all just KNEW she was a girl.

You know where this is going. Today, I had Sienna probed and Sienna is a MALE!!! Humph! I am surrounded by all males!!! :)

When John and I were bringing Sienna home, I wasn't going to name her (sorry, him) right away. I wanted to wait until I found a name that fit. (I ultimately ended up naming him Sienna for the colors of his saddles at that time.) Until we had a name, John referred to Sienna jokingly as Eggbert.

So, I'm thinking Sienna must be renamed, dagnabit! I don't think Sienna is a sufficiently unisex name for my now male snake. So, until I come up with a name for him, it'll have to be...Eggbert. Sigh.

Really wish there was someone who I trusted to probe snakes around here! I have one adult corn that is unsexed but I named it with that in mind, if I ever figure out what it's gender is, it will be called Octavius/Octavia or Tavius/Tavia for short but until then is just Tavi because that sounded more unisex to me.
Then we have a little tricolor Hognose that is unsexed and not named because of that, have the perfect name picked out if it's a boy but doesn't work if it's a girl.

I, for one, love the name Eggbert!

That made my day. ;)

Really wish there was someone who I trusted to probe snakes around here! I have one adult corn that is unsexed but I named it with that in mind, if I ever figure out what it's gender is, it will be called Octavius/Octavia or Tavius/Tavia for short but until then is just Tavi because that sounded more unisex to me.
Then we have a little tricolor Hognose that is unsexed and not named because of that, have the perfect name picked out if it's a boy but doesn't work if it's a girl.

Tavia, good for you; you are prepared for anything!

Back