• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The temature

koa94

In my terr. it is 86 degrees F. He has a heat lamp and a mat. Is that too much? Should i change anything. He doesnt have any visible sighns of being burned so i dont think thats a problem. At night the temp. is around 80 degrees F. Is that too hot? Please feel free to tel;l me anything:bounce:

86 is OK for the warm side, but it should be in the low-mid 70s on the cool side.

What are you using to measure the temperature and where are you measuring it? A heat lamp and mat should be throwing out much more heat than that (which would be dangerous for your Corn).

Most people have one or the other. My preference is for a mat, to give belly heat for digestion.

okay, so do i need to take the heat lamp out? And My thermometer is a zoo-med stick-on. It is on the very far side of the heated side and right on the middle. I am planning to get a better one and one for the cool side. I just want the best for my little guy so please help me out:)

stick on gauges are usually not very accurate.

your also wanting to measure the heat at the bottom of the terrarium not the middle or top.

your best bet is to pick up a house indoor/outdoor digital temp gauge and put the "outside" probe on the bottom of the tank in the middle of the heat pad.

for now i would remove the heat lamp, possibly even the heat pad until you know what temps it is getting too.

i live in canada and most of my corns do not have added heat for the summer.
i would also pick up a dimmer/thermostat to control the heat pad, many get much hotter then what a corn can deal with.

ok, i just unplugged the heat mat. (i do this freakently because it does get very hot) I put a newspaper down below the aspen and it is helping by not buring my little guy. I thought i didnt need the lamp! I worked like two weeks earning that $20 bucks! I want to keep the heat mat on at least at night because my room gets like around 60 degrees F.

definitly get a thermostat then, that will turn down the heat pad so you can leave it on 24/7 without it getting too hot.

yeah, if you get a thermostat and you turn it low enough you can still use the heat lamp. Yes, stick on thermometers are not very accurate. I also recomend the same type of thermometer that mysfitz talked about.

Thank you guys so much! I have to buy some mice today so i will pick some of those up!. Thanks

Back