• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Therapy Snake?

ArvadaLanee

I just finished my training to become a hospice volunteer. During my training, my teacher and I discussed therapy pets. She is an awesome teacher, and she agreed with me that music, and pet therapy can be great tools. The hospice company I am working with has used animals in the past, such as dogs, cats, and rabbits. Unfortunately, the cats they have used in the past, have been front declawed. I cannot do that to my kitties. They currently have no therapy animals. I mentioned to my teacher that we have a corn snake. I wasn't thinking of him as a possible therapy animal, but my teacher wondered aloud if it was possible, or a good idea. It got me thinking. Has anyone ever heard of a therapy snake? Is it really that weird? To be honest, I think that even if the patients didn't hold the snake, getting to see an interesting animal, and observe it, might be a fun thing. Many people have active minds, but limited range of motion. Perhaps they might be interested in a new sensation, like a scaly friend, gently touching their hand.

Nightmare is quite young, and I am no professional snake handler, but the idea has certainly peeked my interest. Am I crazy to think it could be possible some day? I try to think of myself, if I were a hospice patient. I would enjoy the company of any animal, whether I could touch it or not, but I may be biased, because I am an animal lover.

What do you guys think? Should I drop this, or do you think it is possible that a snake could bring a little happiness to those who might need it most. Keep in mind, I don't mean that Nightmare would for sure be held, or touched at all, but maybe just brought in his critter cage, to be watched. Idk. Just an idea....

I have an anxiety disorder and handling my corns helps me. I think the fact that I have to use careful movements when working with them to not startle them works as sort of a therapeutic for of animal assisted meditation. I end up calmer and can often tackle things I couldn't handle earlier because of how rattled I was. I definitely think it could be something that would work unless the person has a fear of them.

It's a good idea, but I think the chance of finding a licensed/certified pet therapy company that allows reptiles or amphibians to be utilized is very small. The arguments against will lean towards potential disease and the animals unpredictable behavior as they are not considered domesticated.

You may find facilities that would allow you to bring a snake/bearded dragon/iguana, but it will likely not be under the auspices of a recognized therapy animal group so any liability would fall on you (minimal risk with a cornsnake). Also have to screen your "patients" well (including staff members at the facilities) since so many people are afraid of snakes.

Good luck!

I don't think this will fly to be honest. Many people are afraid of snakes and for pet therapy most want something soft and cuddly which snakes are neither.

I have a friend with 2 therapy dogs and the dogs have to be bathed before they go, wear a special vest to cut down on shedding and they are not allowed to be on a raw diet due to risk of salmonella. Since snakes eat raw rodents I believe this same fear would be brought up. Dogs also have to be temperament tested. Snakes are a bit more unpredictable making this tough.

While I also find snakes to be very relaxing, I'm younger and I love snakes. In my experience many older people are terrified of snakes.

I would be concerned about stress to the snake. They are just not made to be petted or passed around. I agree that handling a pet snake is therapeutic, and I'd bet my oxytocin level goes way up when I handle my corn. It's out of concern for the snake, aside from any liability or salmonella concerns, that I'd say no.

While I also find snakes to be very relaxing, I'm younger and I love snakes. In my experience many older people are terrified of snakes.

I'm "older" and I find that snake fear has nothing to do with age. Most of the people I know who are afraid of snakes are younger than I am. Just saying...

I mean like quite a bit older. Most 80-90 year olds I know are terrified of snakes.

Yeah not only that, older people have a lowered immune system. As far as I know there has been no known transfer of salmonella from reptile to human but that would most likely be a risk taking. I love the idea but not sure it's a good one..

Well, it was just a thought. When you work with hospice patients, there are all kinds of different circumstances, so some people are old, but others and very young. Many people are in their own homes, and not in a hospital setting. I know a snake can't be an actual certified therapy animal, but I was just thinking that there could be people who would want to see him. I guess if anyone wants to see him, I could just make an album of pictures. Or maybe all my patients will be afraid of snakes, and it will never come up. Lol.
I'd get a rabbit for my patients, but my boyfriend hates rabbits. (Weird, right? Who the heck could hate such a cute little animal?) Maybe I will come up with something. It makes me kind of sad that they no longer have any animals for patients to interact with. I think animals are good for the soul.

Rabbits are nervous animals and can do some major damage with those hind claws.

I think in the right circumstances any animal can be beneficial. Except my birds....lord that noise. Lol. (I still love them though.)

The reason I said a rabbit, is because that is the therapy animal they used to use. It makes sense. They're relatively small, easy to transport, and they're very soft. I could see it. I've known people who had them as pets, and they were pretty friendly. Plus, they are cute, with those wiggly little noses. Lol

I used to have some as well. All litter trained, they make great pets but I consider them far more dangerous than a corn snake. Lol

I guess the preference of animal for lifting one's spirit, probably varies widely. The way I see it, any animal with a mouth has the potential to bite, and any animal with claws has the potential to scratch. I forget sometimes, that other people aren't as weird as me. I love all animals, and if it were up to me, we would live in a zoo. More than one person who knows me well, has predicted my death will be somehow animal related, like Steve Irwin. If I was in hospice care, I would be requesting a therapy tiger visit. Lol

What you could do is, ask which people that are interested in cuddling nightmare.. If you find a bunch bring him in... <3 That might be a good idea too, I know in autistic childrens cases a quiet snake actually have helped them more than a loud dog..

I will figure it out. The patient I was matched with is actually getting discharged from hospice, which is excellent news, so now I am waiting for a new assignment. No matter what, my first priority is just to be there for the patients, however they need me. I just hope I am able to make a difference, and hopefully, bring a little bit of peace to the people I work with.

Back