• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thermometers

Galataya16

I was just curious what people's suggestions for thermometers were? Not thermostats but thermometers. Which are the best digital probe ones?

These are the ones most of us use, they are F/C interchangeable and cheap with free delivery. The do take a few weeks to get to you, but whenever I see them this cheap I buy several. They are cheaper than the batteries that go in them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400613355004

These are the ones most of us use, they are F/C interchangeable and cheap with free delivery. The do take a few weeks to get to you, but whenever I see them this cheap I buy several. They are cheaper than the batteries that go in them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400613355004
I use these as well. They aren't the best, but they work just as well as the name brand equivalent (fairly certain they're the exact same thermometer tbh). I'd suggest investing $15-20 in an infrared gun over a few digital thermometers. The PE1 temp gun works great.

I agree with you Tye, these aren't the top of the line but every one I have used has matched my thermostat or infrared gun within a degree or two. These are just good to double check the thermostat probe placement so you don't have to move the substrate out of the way.

I agree with you Tye, these aren't the top of the line but every one I have used has matched my thermostat or infrared gun within a degree or two. These are just good to double check the thermostat probe placement so you don't have to move the substrate out of the way.
Yep. I tape these thermometer probes right next to my thermostat probes on my heat tape strips for a comparison. I use the gun for the temps in the cages

You guys rock! Do you guys use just one probe per tank to check the UTH and then use the infrared on the other parts to check the cool side or do you use two probes for each side and double check with the infrared? I'm really bummed I missed the awesome black Friday deal on the infrared temp gun. I don't have one yet but will have one eventually.

I see no need for a second on the cool side, as long as the warm side is 85-87° the cool side should hold about 75°. If it is too cold for the snake, he will find an area in the viv where he is most comfortable. If you have a baby, toilet paper tubes smooshed at on end and pushed at an angle down into the substrate, bandaid boxes, toothpaste boxes will all make them feel secure, they like the smaller hides. And do several, all over the viv, and especially one over the UTH.

Well I have their little vivs all set up already. They are in 10 gallons that are theme decorated. But I have their permanent homes (bout the equivalent of a 40 gallon breeder) and am getting the stuff to set them up and was looking at some different things. Wasn't sure with a bigger viv if I'd need two. Any other different equipment/awesome stuff you'd get?

A good Infrared will pay off in the long run. You'll probably find you don't even check your others once you get one.

A good Infrared will pay off in the long run. You'll probably find you don't even check your others once you get one.

Ah, boys and their toys! I have to admit, I bought a cheap one on Amazon or eBay that didn't arrive for almost 3 months, I had forgotten about it, but now my husband carries it around and measures EVERY temp in the house, pointing it like he is Han Solo. Then he sets it down and I can't find it.

So the moral of this story is, if you are married to Jim Smith, stick with the little cheap yellow thermometers.

I do like the infrared if I can find it, it does work great and is a great tool. Unless you are married to a 12 year old kid!!! (KIDDING, I love and adore my husband, and that is why he puts up with me!!!)

Bahahahahaha!!! OMG, that totally sounds like something my husband would do lol. He's a nerd. But then so am I, so it all works out. He's the one that came up with a name for the new baby I am stuck on so it will more then likely be snobi-wan kenobi, lol. I do plan on getting one of those, wish I would of picked up the black Friday deal but oh well now. I would still like to have the other ones just in case. Like to be safe.

Back