• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thermostat Flucuations

Jenn

After a recent regurge with my new corn, I thought I had a faulty thermostat. So I got a new one, but my problem is persisting. The thermostat won't kick on until the temps get to about 76 and then it doesn't turn off until the temp gets to about 87 :headbang: Is this type of fluctuation normal?

How do I keep the temps steadier? I'm wondering if it was the temp issue that caused the regurge and if that is the case, then I'm fearing another since the issue isn't fixed.

(I did also think maybe it was my thermometer that was faulty, got a new one too, it wasn't that).

Any pulse type of Thermostat will do that, the on/off kind. For steadier temps you're going to have to go with a proportional one, a Herpstat from Spyder Robotics, a Vivarium Electronics model... something similar. They are not cheap. But they keep the heat steady with a +/- 1 degree variance.

Some of the pulse types are a bit better, I use Hygrotherms, a plant propagation therm on a few of mine, but I also have a herpstat and will be switching them out as I go, the hygrotherm tossed into a storage container for emergencies.

If you're good with electrical stuff you can always try to make a dimmer rheostat, there is a detailed post on how to do that in the DIY forum.

Last edited:
Is this type of fluctuation OK, or is it harmful for my snake? I haven't even had her for a month yet and I've already bought two thermostats. If I can get away with not having to buy a third that would be great for now.

well, alot of us use the pulse ones, I haven't had a regurge ( knock on wood ) but I also am not an aggressive feeder of mine. Mine will fluctuation from 81 to 86, as long as it isn't in the 90's for any period of time and your snake has a cooler area to go to for thermo regulation its usually not a problem.

Since her last feeding (the one she later regurged) she hasn't been out and about. At night she was cruising her viv since day one. I haven't seen her out since her last feeding. I checked on her twice since the regurge, she is has been in her TP tube both times (on the warm side..she also rergurged on the warm side too). I really just lifted it up to make sure she was alive, she still is. I'm very nervous for her. : /

I'll try to keep the viv out of the 70s and we'll see how it goes.

I think that temp range is okay. Where/how are you measuring?

I have the heat mat stuck on the bottom of the viv (outside). I have a new Hydrofarm "Jump Start" thermostat. The probe for the thermostat is inside the viv, under the substrate on the glass inside the warm hide. I have, currently two, digital probe thermometers close to the thermostat probe under the subtstrate under the warm hide.

The cool side of mine stays between 75-78 ( room temp ) with nothing higher then 87. Your temps should be ok.

Maybe she's just recovering from her regurge? I have absolutely no experience with one of those and wish I could be of more help.

It's good to know that my temps are OK. I was under the impression that it really needed to be between 81-85 consistently. I think I need to stop messing with the thermostat all the time.

Since we don't have Habistats and Herpstats in Spain, they are difficult to come about plus they have the USA/UK plug, I got one by Lucky Reptile (they come from Germany I think).
I tell you this because in mine, an on/off type, I can change the temp variation tolerance. I mean if, for example, I set my stat at around 83F, the thermostat can let the temps fluctuate between 0.5ºC and up to 5 or 10ºC, I think it is. So I have set my maximum tolerable variation at the minimum, and when the probe detects temps lower than 82,4 (a half degree variation) it turns on, and when it detects 0,5ºC over those 83F it turns off. The variation is almost minimum, and only fluctuates between 82 and 84.5 (seems more in Fahrenheit to me, but in Celsius it's about 1-2 degrees).
I really have no idea what you have there, but maybe your thermostats also have this option? Worth taking a look at it.

Just wanted to update, I woke up to a shed this morning (minus tail tip, but we got that off easy with a damp paper towel). Today was going to be the first feeding day post regurge anyway, so I gave her a pinky head. She scarfed it down immediately. Lets hope the shed was all it was!!

Also, I cleaned out her viv today and made extra sure with plenty of suction cups that the thermostat and thermometer probes don't move around too much. I fixed them up the other day and the thermostat has been doing a great job since. Fingers crossed we're over this hump :D

Back