• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thermostat probe location

braingarble

Always has questions
Where does everyone keep their thermostat probes when using a UTH?

-> in the actual vivarium-- probe/wire actually coming in from the thermostat and entering the vivarium through an access point

-> taped/attached to the UTH on the underside of the vivarium-- no prob/wire in the vivarium

I am just curious, as I have read and actually spoke to thermostat manufacturers that suggest the second of the two (tape to the underside of the vivarium) as it not exposed to the snake...urine, feces, or just being relocated as the snake may try to climb it

thanks in advance for your opinions

-braingarble

In my glass vivs and plastic cages, the thermostat probe is inside, in the center of the UTH. The babies _like_ climbing the wires!

For the racks, the stat probe is directly on the heat cable, or 1" from the Flexxwatt as specified by the rack manufacturer.

@Nanci - do you place the probe on the substrate? on the bottom of the viv floor and put substrate on top/bury the probe? how do you stabilize it, so your snakes do not "relocate" it?

thanks,

-braingarble

Right on the glass. I use aluminum tape. I have never has a
problem. It only sticks once. You could use hot glue, aquarium silicone or that sticky tack gum stuff.

braingarble - If it was me I would tape the probe for the T-stat between the UTH and the glass bottom so the probe would be sandwiched in between the two. The only problem is you have to think about it ahead of time.

I would place the probe for the T-meter inside taped to the bottom of the glass tank just like Nanci said.

If you use silver tape get the ones that have writing on them. They are a better tape than the ones with out writing. I can not remember what the difference was only that in the HVAC trade you can only use the ones with writing on them.

Don't ever use any other kind of tape in the viv, ever!!! This is the only kind that if (when) it gets loose won't stick to the snake.

I used clear aquarium sealant to stick my probes down. That way I can easily remove them if I should ever need to and so far the snakes haven't bothered them.

I have mine on the glass,inside the tank. I used a hot glue gun to anchor it down. The glue is easy to detach and reposition. You just take a butter knife to break the seal, cut or peel away the glue, and then reglue in the new position.

If you tape the probe between the UTH and the glass, outside the viv, wouldn't it require you to either bend the UTH or leave an air gap? I'm thinking flat glass, flat UTH, round/fat probe...how would that work?

Back