• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thermostat Probe Placement

krazybob

Krazy About Snakes
I got my thermostat yesterday and was wondering where to place the probe since no vivarium type instructions came with it.

Right now I have it in her hot side hide. I have it set at 85 during the day dropping to 75 at night. That makes the rest of the hot side of the cage about 95 - 100 with the cool side about 70. I put the probe in the hide since she spends most of her time in there.

Is that the best place for it?

Robert

Why would the thermostat be set at 85 and you be getting temperatures at 95-100? Why would you even want temperatures in the 95-100 range?

Yes, putting the probe on the warm side and under her hide is good. Personally, I would even put it on the glass just like I do with my thermometer probes. However, I would work with the settings until I didn't get any temps over 90 degrees.

Well, the temperatures in the cage vary by where the thermometer probe is placed. If I have the thermostat set to 85 in her hot side hide the shade and darkness mean that it will take a bit more heating to get the temp to 85. That means that in other places over the uth pad the temp will be higher. It's not optimal and not what I find acceptable at all. Hence this thread.

Since your useing a UTH, shade and direct light are not going to make much of a difference (or so i'd think).

I dont use a thermostat, however i do use a rheostat. I normaly place the probe of my thermometer on the glass, under the substrate dead center above my UTH. I figure since heat radiates outward, this should be ground zero for heat. I then fiddle with my rheostat untill i get a steady temp of 88 F. This way i have provided enough heat to permiate the substrate and keep the snake warm, yet he wont get burnt if he should burrow.

krazybob said:
Well, the temperatures in the cage vary by where the thermometer probe is placed. If I have the thermostat set to 85 in her hot side hide the shade and darkness mean that it will take a bit more heating to get the temp to 85. That means that in other places over the uth pad the temp will be higher. It's not optimal and not what I find acceptable at all. Hence this thread.

Are you using a heat lamp? That is the only way that shade and darkness will have any effect on your temps under the warm-side hide. If anything, the hide should be holding in heat that is radiating up from the UTH. Therefore, it shouldn't necessarily be cooler under the hide.

i go by the temp of the glass as this is what he comes into contact with i did what you are doing like the pet store told me to but with the hide at 80f i found the glass bottom was 103f way to hot i have the probe on the glass bottom outside (under) the tank with the heat matt i find that set to 87f it gives a constant 85f to 70f gradent hope that helps :wavey:

Back