• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thinking about my first snake, a few questions. (Also, hi!)

kyyyle

So I've been doing some research on corns, and I've found a lot of great information!But I do still have some questions about them, since I'll be a first time snake owner and all if I do decide to get a corn (I'm also researching GTPs, although I think I may need to start at a more novice level.)

1)Is it better to start with an adult, or a hatchling/yearling?

2)Is buying online and having the snake shipped a better option than buying from a pet store?

3)Are tanks/aquariums or tubs better for housing?

4)And finally, is it better to feed F/T or live food? (prekilled may not be an option here at all, I'm not sure if I could do that...)

Thanks for any help guys! :) If I find the right snake, I may be a corn owner within the next two weeks!

I'm also wondering whether there is a major difference between males and females? (Temperament, care, etc.)

I cannot say from monster experience, but I've owned a male corn for over 1 year- He's tame as can be, but likes to move continuously when I hold him unless he's cold and likes my warmth. The female I got 3 months ago, and the 1.2 from PJC- The 1. male from that likes to seek as well, and the 2 females are more of a 'sit on the shoulder type'.
However, the females also seem to be more aggressive feeders by far. The exception being my oldest and first male. He's not aggressive, but still will eat like a horse, just takes it all slowly.
If I'd recommend a first, I'd say a hatchling like my albino. You can learn the personality, tendencies, and make it used to you from the beginning. Seems to be the one I have with the least nervousness and feeding/shedding issues. Just went on about life.
Welcome. I'm pretty new as well.

Well, that didn't work! LOL Let's try that again!

1. There are pros and cons to choosing a younger vs. an adult, but all practical reasons point to getting an older snake, ie. at least a yearling, for your first snake. The hatchlings can be tricky and, unfortunately, sometimes die for no discernible reason.

2. The best option would probably be if you can find a local breeder or attend a reptile show in your area, but failing that...again, there are pros and cons. The above and a pet store are good because you can see and hold your potential snake. But you can perhaps get a better quality snake online if you are careful about buying from a reputable breeder. Buying online might be expensive because of shipping, but then again, some pet stores overcharge, so it could work out about the same.

3. If you just have one snake, aquariums look great. But if you start to amass a fair size collection, tubs definitely are something to look into, although they aren't as pretty.

4. F/t, definitely, 100% better! A live mouse can injure a snake and possibly carry parasites and f/t is so much more convenient.

Welcome! And kudos to you for doing your research before falling in love and buying your corn snake. Speaking of research, you should get Kathy Love's book and keep it on hand. It's very thorough, easy to read, and extremely helpful. You can get it from Kathy's website, www.cornutopia.com.

As for your current questions,
1. For most new owners, something a bit older than a hatchling is a good idea. A yearling has gotten past the delicate baby stage, is an established feeder, and is less likely to up and die for no discernible reason. An adult is fine, also. An additional advantage of not-hatchlings is that you can handle them more since they've grown past a 5-day feeding schedule.
2. Gotta go with online, unless you have a reptile show in your neck of the woods. A show gives you a chance to talk first hand to breeders, see a wide choice of animals, and get a good price. You can also find out information about the snake's genetics, in case you're interested in future breeding plans. This applies to online purchase as well. I confess, I was nervous the first time I bought a snake online. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad experience. If you go the online route, do check around (here or on other sites) and verify that the breeder whose stock you're looking at has a "good guy" reputation. There are exceptions of course, but many pet stores don't care properly for the snakes and overcharge to boot.
3. Housing is a personal preference. Small containers like shoebox tubs are convenient for small snakes. Aquaria can make beautiful vivs that are a welcome addition to decor. That one's entirely up to you. Glass is easier to heat consistently than plastic is. And hey, your choice here doesn't have to be permanent. There's nothing wrong with changing vivs as the snake grows, your space changes, you want a new look in the living room, etc.
4. F/T!!!!!! for all the reasons Sweetseraph said. It's also less expensive, which is nice. Don't you love it when the best choice is actually the cheaper one? How often does that happen? :cheers:
Addendum: There's no significant difference between males and females as far as day to day handling goes. Males are often more active in the spring and early summer when they're "looking for love." Both genders make excellent pets.

Let us know when you get your snake. Again, welcome.

So I've been doing some research on corns, and I've found a lot of great information!But I do still have some questions about them, since I'll be a first time snake owner and all if I do decide to get a corn (I'm also researching GTPs, although I think I may need to start at a more novice level.) GTPs are not starter snakes.

2)Is buying online and having the snake shipped a better option than buying from a pet store?

4)And finally, is it better to feed F/T or live food? (prekilled may not be an option here at all, I'm not sure if I could do that...)

Thanks for any help guys! :) If I find the right snake, I may be a corn owner within the next two weeks!
1.Not really, but a yearling may be a better choice than a hatchling, not so delicate and can handle keeper mistakes better.

2.Usually. Buy from a reputable breeder either online or at a show.

3.Both have their pros and cons, I prefer tubs for their ease of cleaning and less use of space.

4.F/T

I'm also wondering whether there is a major difference between males and females? (Temperament, care, etc.)

Nope

Thanks guys for all the tips! In regards to buying, Lynnea is actually just a few minutes up the road from me so I'll more than likely be buying one from her - discovered that this morning! :)

So I've been doing some research on corns, and I've found a lot of great information!But I do still have some questions about them, since I'll be a first time snake owner and all if I do decide to get a corn (I'm also researching GTPs, although I think I may need to start at a more novice level.)

this website gives you good info on cornsnakes www.cornsnake.co.nr

they also give you alot of info through email :)

I'd go with a hatchling that's had at least three feedings.

I think maybe there's a stronger emotional attachment when you raise them from babies, and besides they are so cute, like puppies.

It also gives you an opportunity to watch them metamorphosize into a very pretty adult.

Just my 2 cents

I'd go with a hatchling that's had at least three feedings.

I think maybe there's a stronger emotional attachment when you raise them from babies, and besides they are so cute, like puppies.

It also gives you an opportunity to watch them metamorphosize into a very pretty adult.

Just my 2 cents

i agree i watched both of mine grow up and both are very tame but only i can hold my male as he strikes for other people im not sure why ?

Back