• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

thinking about using plastic snake rack/bins

charmsley315

Hello, I have been using snake glass tanks ever since i first acquired snakes and now I want to try those plastic bins from walmart. Has anybody ever used anything like that and if so advice on how to get started, what to use, etc?

thank you : )

We use sterlite bins for most of our snakes (we have two glass display tanks, and the rest are in various sized plastic bins...66qt for the adults, 16 qt for the yearlings)

Not sure what advice you're looking for...setting up a bin is pretty much the same as setting up a viv. We specifically use totes that have lids with clamps on them...we use binder clips on the sides as well, because the adults are big enough that they can shift the lids and I didn't want them getting hurt. You'll need air holes for ventilation and airflow...I used a soldering iron on mine. Drills work as well, and heated nails (I used that a couple times because I couldn't find the soldering iron)

We have UTH's on each, regulated with thermostats. I have the probes stuck down with hot glue immediately over the heating pads for the best temp gauge. Other than that, not sure what else you need. Decorate/outfit to your heart's content (we have wooden dowels stretched across the 66-qt homes...kind of like a jungle gym for the snakes. They love climbing on them)

66 quart Sterilites are available at Target. Here is how I have them set up in Animal Plastics Economy Plastic racks.

Attachments

• Six Racks 006_800.jpg
    Six Racks 006_800.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 178
Yep yep, most of us use the bins. They're cheap, easy to set up, and easy to clean.

I use 110qt bins. Here is my rack:

1042080058_photobucket_31512_.jpg

66 quart Sterilites are available at Target. Here is how I have them set up in Animal Plastics Economy Plastic racks.

Hey Nanci

Do you have a part number or link for for those racks? I'm looking on the Animal Plastics website and can't find economy racks for 66 quart tubs listed...

It may be my sun addled brain. Spent the day at the beach with my kids ;)

I use 110qt bins. Here is my rack:

Knox- Same question (where did you get them?). I like that rack as well, and those 110qt bins look perfect for some small boids I'm picking up...

Thanks,
Scott

Scott- AP doesn't have them on the site. There is a lot of stuff they don't have on the site. They are EP 1758 Five Shelves, with cable heat, but you can get them with FlexWatt, too. Ali is the person to talk to or e-mail.

I use the 41 quart sterelites. I buy them at Walmart.
I built my racks using melamine. I built 5 racks for about $400, including containers.
e916067a.jpg

Extensive Rack Building Instructions

I built my racks after reading thru several of the variations on rack systems on the link above.

I would suggest you first take an accurate measurement of readily available Melamine shelving; the ones that say they are 16 inches wide may be 15.25, 15.50, or 15.75 inches wide, depending on the manufacturers specs. Do this first before you bring home a mess of tubs and later discover they stick out half an inch so all your pets can escape.

Spend a day figuring out which store/s in your area carry tubs in the size you will need. Target stores may have highly variable pricing. 2 out of 3 in my area charge a dollar ot two more than the cheap target store. Big Lots & dollar stores & close-out stores might have what you are looking for.

When constructing, the bins should fit snug. But over time, the melamine may swell slightly due to humidity- so it might not hurt to use a thin piece of cardboard on top of each bin as you add the next shelf up. It will leave a very tiny gap, not enough for a baby snake to escape through, but you may find it was a good call years later when the tubs no longer slide in/out without vibrating the water out of the dish.

For juvies, i use medium tubs with clamp lids; they are a good size but longer than the shelf is wide.

Hope this helps. dp

Attachments

• 1oaNewSnakeRmNov30-2010 001.jpg
    1oaNewSnakeRmNov30-2010 001.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1oaNewSnakeRmNov30-2010 004.jpg
    1oaNewSnakeRmNov30-2010 004.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 1oaNewSnakeRmNov30-2010 006.jpg
    1oaNewSnakeRmNov30-2010 006.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 76
One more thing, get some back-up tubs, just in case the manufacturer changes the shape of tubs they are making. They seem to do this every few years. Then you will not have to re-construct your rack system later on.

Back