• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thinking Corn.

MrMatt

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to the reptile side of the spectrum. Between living in my parents house and not being allowed to own any animals with out fur and being in the US Military and not allowed pets in the barracks I've finally got on my feet so to say.

I met my fiancee and she had a box turtle. Which moved in when she did. Then followed a Russian tortoise adoption followed by another box turtle. We recently got a bearded dragon and I've been told that corn snakes are usually good for beginners. Is that true?

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to the reptile side of the spectrum. Between living in my parents house and not being allowed to own any animals with out fur and being in the US Military and not allowed pets in the barracks I've finally got on my feet so to say.

I met my fiancee and she had a box turtle. Which moved in when she did. Then followed a Russian tortoise adoption followed by another box turtle. We recently got a bearded dragon and I've been told that corn snakes are usually good for beginners. Is that true?
Yes,...and you came to the right place :) drive into the forums..read.. and pick up Kathy Loves book......and oh yea,....welcome to the addiction!

Thank you for the welcomes and the book advice.

They are great for beginners, just beware that with their ease of care & wide range of morphs, it is almost impossible to just have one!

It's funny you say that because I was told that when I got my first bearded dragon. They said "They are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

First off, thank you for your service!

I would say, as a relative n00bie, that corn snakes are great beginner snakes. They are easy to care for, environmentally hardy, and not too big. I went from 1 corn last autumn to 9 corns by March, and I am loving them.

However, corn snakes ARE like potato chips -- nobody can have just one. Somebody has that as their signature here. So I hope your fiancee likes snakes, because she is likely to be living with more than one! :)

Welcome to the forum! Post pictures of the turtles, tortoise & dragon -- we love pictures, and we have other lizard & chelonian owners.

I think of them as corn chips-- it seems more appropriate. ;)

I got my first in April, my second in May, and yes, I am seriously jonesing for MORE! Of course, I get to hang around with a lot of them a couple of times a week, and that really feeds my craving.

Ball pythons are also a very good beginner snake-- equally easy to care for, and equally good-tempered in general. Corn snakes are more slender and tend to move faster, while ball pythons are for the most part quite relaxed, and get a lot thicker, though not any longer. I don't have one of those yet, though, wonder of wonders, my husband is actually considering one. Which is AWESOME, might I add-- I will convert him yet! I'm absolutely a corn girl, but you might want to look into the ball pythons as well, especially since I *think* they're generally less addictive.

But my heart of hearts is whispering, "Go for the corns!" :)

I've been told that corn snakes are usually good for beginners. Is that true?

That's exactly what got me sucked in lol A breeder near me (who is my friend now) Nancy posted an add on Craigslist in early Dec. I thought what a neat Christmas gift ONE would be for my Boyfriend lol I ended up getting a pair, sisters from the same clutch. I learned what I needed to know emidiatly from her then I picked up a copy of kathy & billy love's Comprehensive Owners Guides which I highly recommend for anyone interested in owning corns

http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-C...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277507350&sr=8-1

Needless to say I got addicted. We now have 11 total and I think if we get anymore corns it will be a female bloodred. Hope you decide to get a corn, here is a site that will help you pick which color morph you like best :D
http://iansvivarium.com/cornsnakemorphs.php

Thank you for your service to our country! My dad was in WWII, my son's in the Navy, my husband was in the Air Force. We appreciate our servicemen and servicewomen!

Yes, corns are great for beginners for all the reasons you've heard. They're also great for non-beginners! Their personalities, beautiful colors, hardiness and easy maintenance make them great to have around....yes, in numbers as large as you'd like! I like other species as well, but I'm a corn fan through and through. They are a beginner species in that they're easy to manage, but it's not like the bunny slope on the ski run where you won't be happy with it once it's mastered.

Thank you for your service to our country! My dad was in WWII, my son's in the Navy, my husband was in the Air Force. We appreciate our servicemen and servicewomen!

Yes, corns are great for beginners for all the reasons you've heard. They're also great for non-beginners! Their personalities, beautiful colors, hardiness and easy maintenance make them great to have around....yes, in numbers as large as you'd like! I like other species as well, but I'm a corn fan through and through. They are a beginner species in that they're easy to manage, but it's not like the bunny slope on the ski run where you won't be happy with it once it's mastered.

Welcome to the forum! Corn snakes are great for beginers and you will get addicted to them. Hope this forum helps you alot with your new snake. Thank you for your service to this country. And if you ever do get your first corn snake... we'll be waiting for pictures. ;)

Got my first corn today at the Reptile Expo in Lancaster, PA! A pretty Amel. I'll post pics as soon as I get decent shots. :)

Back